Saturday, December 27, 2014

DIY Alberta Ferretti Pumps

     Lately I've had a weakness for designer shoes (which totally isn't in the budget for a college student who works minimum wage in retail), so I've had to learn to either resist, or take my own twist on it. And when I saw the Spring 2014 Alberta Ferretti pumps I couldn't resist. I mean, come on, look at these beauties...


     Grab some simple black heels, some satin ribbon, a hot glue gun, and you are good to go!  

     The DIY inspiration all came from http://www.dreamcreate.ca/diy-alberta-ferretti-party-shoes/, which just so happens to now be my favorite blog. I followed the instructions step by step, but the hardest part was finding my shoes since she just had hers lying around work (wherever she works I want her job, because that's some Anne Hathaway in Devil Wears Prada stuff right there).

     I have a serious addiction to pointed toe shoes, so I ended up with the Sam Edelman "Danielle" pump in black suede. They have a metal heel and a cute snakeskin accent on the back, and they're a comfortable heel which is a huge bonus. (http://www.polyvore.com/sam_edelman_womens_danielle_court/thing?id=67053193). And honestly betting on my luck with clearance items, they're probably sold out by now (I somehow always end up with the last one in my size, which is the only thing I ever get lucky with, since I'm usually the girl running into posts and getting my clothing stuck on trees while I'm walking down the street).

     I got my black satin ribbon on Amazon for really cheap since I don't have a craft store near me (huge bummer, but probably a good thing because that would be totally dangerous). I ended up with the 1 and 1/2" ribbon and if I do it again, I'd go a tad thinner, probably 3/4" or so. I used the entire roll of ribbon for my shoes. (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005IW8TUS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1).

     You can read the steps easily on the link to the blog above, but if you want a short and simple version, here are the steps:
1. Cut your roll of ribbon in half.
2. Fold each of your ribbons in half and mark the middle point, you'll want to hot glue this piece on the base of the back of your heel (as close to the actual heel as you can).
3. Test it out! Make sure you like the way that ribbon lies and ties, and it is a piece of cake to remove the ribbon and redo the glueing if needed. I adjusted mine quite a few times before I felt like they looked perfect for what I wanted. I crossed my ribbon in the front of my foot, then tied on the side just above my ankle.

     These are great party shoes, relatively cheap to make depending on your heel of choice (mine were about $60 to make with all my supplies), and you can convert them back into the plain ol' heel when you feel like it by just peeling off your ribbon and glue.
   
     Here's my version. Please excuse my nasty college student floors (I'd blame my boyfriend, but the craftiness on the floor is all me)! I'd love to hear any feedback, questions, or comments!


No comments:

Post a Comment