Monday, March 2, 2015

Summer inspirations

Seattle is teasing with bits of sunshine every few days, which is making me crave summer more than ever. I'm picturing swimsuits, iced drinks, sunshine, tanning lotion, and fashion. Just because I can't shop doesn't mean I can't dream about shopping. But after the 'freshman fifteen' (if you don't think this is a real thing, you're lying to yourself), I'm going to have to gather a whole new wardrobe before this summer. The best part about summer fashion is that you can update and DIY a ton of old fall fashions to create your own summer wardrobe. All you need is a pair of scissors, maybe some sewing materials, potentially some dye, and some old clothes. With these you can make jean shorts, distressed shorts, crop tops, cutoff shirts, backless shirts, bright bags, and tie dye. And it is likely you already have jeans, plain shirts, purses, hats, and sunglasses at home.

After a whole fall and winter of wearing the same clothes, which just end up getting covered by a jacket to stay warm anyways, I've been thinking about what I want my summer style to look like, since my style has been so dynamic lately. Pinterest has been my best friend. I've gathered a ton of images of what I want my summer closet to look like, and I've put a few outfits together in collages, but I also want to share so individual pieces that are my current favorites!

I put this collage of Pinterest images together with edgy inspirations. One of my favorite trends right now is the sneaker slip-on, and I love the statement that these Sam Edelman ones give! I know guys have millions of internet posts about what a shame high-waisted shorts are and how they ruin a great butt. Well, guess what? They're super comfy, and a good butt is a good butt no matter what's covering it. And summer is a great time to show off your beautiful buns. Crop tops are really in right now, and I like that your favorite graphics are a good way to express yourself! After putting these pieces together, nothing was a huge statement, so I thought a deep red look would add to the edge, and who doesn't love a good lipstick? A pair of stylish sunglasses, a little texturing spray on your roots with a little tease for a messy, beachy vibe, and you look stunning.

I put this collage together picturing a walk on a boardwalk or being near the water where you want to be stylish, but comfortable and relaxed. Maxi skirts are like the yoga pants of the skirt world. They're comfortable, cute, and you can wear them with just about anything. Another great thing about maxi skirts is that you can do so many things with them! If you want a DIY you can cut a slit up to your thigh, or you can knot your skirt around your knees to show a little leg like I chose for this look. I like to wear my skirts a little higher up (just below the belly button) with a cropped tank. I love this tank because it has the crochet detail so you can see a little skin, but nothing too revealing. Halters are back too! If you're near the water or walking, you're going to want a sandal that is comfortable, but cute. These ones stood out to me because of their bohemian vibe/ The nice thing about having such a simple outfit is that you can add one statement piece and you'll be the one every turns to look at when you're strolling the beach. With a tank like the one I chose, that has so much pretty detail, I wanted a statement piece with color, but simple enough that it didn't distract from the tank, so I thought a Burberry clutch, in a bright color like pink, cobalt, red, jade, or yellow. A neutral/simple lip color would look great with this outfit, so I chose a mauve shade by MAC (because I'm obsessed with everything MAC). Lastly, to finish off the beachy vibe, a messy bun. They're effortlessly chic.

Right now, I love the look of everything flowy from tanks to rompers to boxy t-shirt dresses, so I wanted to start this look with a simple, cream romper. Another one of my favorite looks right now are booties, especially funky ones like those with cutouts, buckles, studs, anything out of the norm! I fell in love with these Steve Madden cutout booties from Nordstrom. To add a little bling, I chose a collar necklace from Baublebar, which looks great with the high neckline of the romper. A coral shade of MAC lipstick ups the femininity of the look! A little curl, some texturizing spray, a little tease for some volume, a black fedora to protect your from the sun and to make you look fabulous, and you're set for date night!

I love the sneaker slip-on style, but paired with one of my favorite colors (mint), and with some really funky texture, these are a win in my book. Plus, they're Dolce Vita which is one of my favorites, and you can find them on Amazon in different summery colors for around $30! They make a casual and simple outfit less boring.

I've been in love with the Chanel Espadrilles for awhile now, but no matter how much I make in the future, I can almost guarantee I'll never be able to fathom spending this much on a pair of shoes. But luckily, my favorite blogger has our backs with a DIY: http://www.dreamcreate.ca/diy-chanel-espadrilles/

Everyone in Seattle owns a pair of white converse, or white vans, and I'm getting sick of the fact that I am wearing the same thing as every girl on campus. But I love the look of a simple and casual laced shoe. I saw these on Pinterest and my jaw dropped. First of all, if you haven't owned a pair of Sperry's before, they're so comfortable. I love the laces on these, and they're an affordable sneaker, under $60 at Nordstrom, and I promise Sperry is worth that for the comfort alone, but these are also adorable, and come in a few different colors!


My current swimsuit obsession. I don't fit in any of my swimsuits anymore, so this is number one on my list when summer comes around: the wrap around bikini top. Paired with a patterned bottom, the simple top with a little design is perfection.

Bralettes are feminine, sexy, and easy to DIY. All you need is some elastic, scissors, scalloped lace, and sewing materials. They're great to put under a flowy tank or to wear with high-waisted shorts/skirts. And if you want some padding, you can easily sew in some bra cups or swimsuit padding! Here is an easy DIY from one of my favorite blogs: http://apairandasparediy.com/2015/02/diy-lace-bralette.html

1. COBALT. 2. TOTE BAG. What could be better? You can fit in your towel and beach necessities, or if you're headed to the theater it's a great hamburger smuggling mechanism (yes I actually do this, I bought a tote specifically for Five Guys pre-theater). No one will question you with this style, unless they're asking how much cash you'll take for your bag. 

Jade is probably my favorite color for summer currently. It looks good on everyone. I also have an obsession with crossbody bags because I hate having to carry bags (I'm lazy, okay?). This one is only $30 online at Target!

Simple flowy tanks are the best because you can do basically anything with them. The layering on this one gives it some character, and pairing it with a bold colored short will make your whole outfit effortlessly cute.

I love scalloped and detailed tanks, especially in that easy breezy chiffon fabric, because it can make a casual outfit way dressier, or you can wear it with some ripped denim and it'll still work!

Backless dresses, backless tanks, backless rompers, I want them all. A tanned, bare back is so sexy, show it off! And you can DIY a back strap for your strapless bra to add a cool design. Here is a very simple DIY example I came across on Pinterest: http://emmelbiyd.blogspot.com/2012/11/diy-3-strap-bra-for-backless-tops-and.html
I want to do one of these soon! Would you guys want me to do a tutorial on this?

Booties make me crazy. Any season, any outfit, any color, any texture, just...yes. The ones I've been in love with for months are the Sam Edelman Petty, which are far out of my price range ($130), but, a girl can dream. The suede is flexible because it doesn't have a ton of structure, and your foot isn't summer sweating in leather. They look great with any outfit!

Headwraps and turban-style headbands are great for the summer to keep your hair out of your face, and they're easy to make or cheap to buy! You can buy scrap fabric for a few dollars and just tie it from the base of your neck to the top of your head, you can go a little further and sew one with design/structure, or you can pick one up at almost any fashion store for between $5-$30. 

These are just a few of my summer obsessions, and the sunshine and warmth can't come quick enough. I hope you guys enjoyed seeing some of my personal favorites and dreaming about summer with me. Do you guys have any trends you're loving right now? I'd love to see or hear about them, a girl can never spend too much time dreaming about the wardrobe they wish they had! xoxo

1 comment:

  1. Thank For Sharing Great Information. It was helpful.
    http://organichealthplanet.com/

    ReplyDelete