Thursday, June 23, 2016

SWEAT-PROOF SUMMER MAKEUP

Hey guys! Sorry it's been awhile, I'm currently on vacation, but luckily I pre-filmed one video so that I could post while I'm gone, woot! I'm ironically sitting here in Canada watching the rain pour sideways outside the window, about to do a post about summer makeup. I am not one that's comfortable enough to wear no makeup outside the house, even if I know that I'll sweat through it. So, throughout time I've found that there are certain types of makeup and certain tips and tricks that really help my makeup through those hot and humid summer days.


Below are the products that I used, and how I used them, but remember that you can find any equivalents you need in your own makeup collection!


1. Prime! // Step one in any makeup routine should be to prime your skin. If you don't own a primer, reach for a moisturizer or a face cream. They might not prolong the wear of your makeup, but the #1 goal is to keep your skin hydrated throughout the day. I love the Too Faced Hangover Rx primer because it is silicone-free and feels like a serum on my skin, nice, gentle and hydrating!

2. Tint with SPF // Many people reach for full-coverage foundations in the summertime to keep their skin looking flawless and because the wear tends to be longer. I find that tinted gels, creams, or moisturizers with SPF work best for this time of year, personally. They give me the light coverage I need, the hydration my skin needs, the comfort of a light feeling, and the sun protection my skin needs this time of year (though I should be wearing it all year long). I find that with tinted creams, my skin doesn't try and break through it quite as much as it does a thicker formula, and when I do sweat, it doesn't break up my base, it just releases my skins natural oils gracefully. For the tutorial, I used MD Solar Sciences Mineral Tinted Creme, but was not at all a fan because of it's lack of coverage. I highly suggest the Bare Minerals Complexion Rescue or Dr. Jart+ Ceramidin Day Tint, they are both light-medium coverage with SPF 15 and great staying power.

3. Correct dark circles // Since my under-eyes are so dark, I have to color correct prior to concealer. My favorite formula for this step is the YSL Touche Eclat Neutralizer in the shade Bisque. The peachy shade neutralizes the blue undertones, and the thin texture makes it very easy to blend, and build other product on top of.

4. Conceal problem areas // I use concealer both to highlight areas on my face as well as cover problem areas. I apply it down the center of my face (forehead, nose, cupid's bow, and chin). I apply on any dark spots or blemishes, as well as in a downward triangle shape under my eyes. NARS Radiant Creamy Concealer is my personal favorite because it is thick enough to cover everything, but not too thick to look dry or cakey.

5. Liquid bronzing // In the summertime I find that cream or liquid products are great alternatives to powders because they really sink into your skin, last longer, and they look more natural. Benefit Dew the Hoola is a great liquid bronzer because of the natural warmth it provides the skin, and it blends into the skin beautifully. I apply on my cheekbones, down the sides of my nose, on the sides of my temples, on my hairline, and under my jawline. This provides depth and warmth.

6. Cream blush // Sephora Collection mist blush is one of my favorite summer products because it lasts all day long, and it is waterproof! It is an aerosol can that you can spray directly onto your skin or onto a brush (my preferred method). I find this lasts all day long as opposed to powder blushes. There are lots of great cream blushes on the market.

7. Liquid highlight // Liquid highlight is one of the most natural looking highlights in my opinion. It really sinks into the skin and makes you look like you are glowing from within. My favorite is the Becca Shimmering Skin Perfector in liquid form, the shade Moonstone gives my fair skin the perfect champagne colored glow. I apply on the tops of my cheekbones, down the center of my nose, and on my cupid's bow. I blend first with the tips of my fingers by dabbing into the skin, and whatever is left I bump my beautyblender over top.

8. Powder up! // To make sure my concealer doesn't crease and that my oily zones stay in tact as long as possible, I use a loose translucent powder, my current favorite is from the drugstore - the Covergirl Professional Loose Powder (only $5!). I use a contour brush to press the powder under my eyes because it allows me to get close to my lashline without harming my eyes. I also press the powder on my forehead, down the center of my nose, my chin, and the inner part of my cheek closest to my nose, because these areas are those which get oiliest.

9. Finishing powder // To the outer areas of my face, I apply a finishing powder as opposed to a setting powder because it is a lot less heavy on the skin, and it makes the makeup look flawless. Hourglass Ambient Powders are my favorite for this because they photograph beautifully and they give your skin a natural summer glow without any glitter or shimmer. 

10. Prime eyelids // To make sure your eyelids don't get too oily and ruin eyehadow, I like to primer my eyelids. You can easily use concealer for this, or an eyeshadow primer. I personally use the MAC Paint Pot because it neutralizes redness and veins on my lids while prepping for eyeshadow.

11. Set primed lids // To make sure you don't have any creasing in those primed lids, powder over top with any translucent or cream shadow, which you likely have either in a setting powder or palette you own. I use 'Heaven' from my Too Faced Natural Matte palette, which is just a matte cream shade.

12. Crease color // I find one of the easiest ways to save money and to save time in the morning is to use a bronzer you have lying around as a crease color (this is an especially good way to save space while traveling). I take a large blending brush and apply this color in the crease, on the outer corners, and along the bottom lashline. This gives the eyes warmth and shape. My current go-to is the Urban Decay Beached Bronzer in the shade Bronzed, it's the perfect shade and while matte, it gives a beautiful glow to the skin - SORCERY I TELL YOU!

13. Add some shimmer // To add some brightness to the eyes, I take my Caviar eye stick from Laura Mercier in the shade Rose Gold and apply directly to the center of the lid, and on the inner corners. This really brightens the eyes. Eye crayons are an awesome alternative to powders for the summer because they have a great thick consistency that generally lasts longer, and you can find great options at the drugstore.

14. Mascara // Mascara is probably my favorite part of makeup! But finding one that works for you can be very difficult. For the summer I find myself reaching for the Marc Jacobs Velvet Noir because it gives great length and volume without budging through the heat or sweat. Waterproof mascaras are a great option as well.

15. Fill in those brows // Once you find a brow pencil you love, I suggest sticking with it and following up with a gel to set it in. I love the ABH brow pencils because they are a good mix of waxy and creamy, so the formula doesn't budge, but it's comfortable to apply and wear all day long. Run the spooly through after applying the pencil to make the application look nice and natural.

16. Set the brows // To add a little extra oomph and make sure your brows stay where you want them all day long, go over them with a clear or tinted brow gel brushing them upward. The Benefit Gimme Brow is my favorite because it adds fibers to your brows while it sets them in, and the spooly on the end is small and easy to work with.

17. Brighten your eyes // To make your eyes look open and bright, apply a neutral or flesh colored pencil that will last in your waterline all day long. This makes a huge difference in the appearance of your eyes. The MAC Chromographic Pencil lasts in my lower waterline all day long.

18. Bright lips! // My favorite part of summer is the bright lips. It's so fun to keep the eyes neutral, and add a pop of color to your lippies. It makes the morning nice and easy, and makes you look like you really took the effort to do your makeup. I've been loving the Revlon Ultra HD Matte Lipcolor in the shade 625 Love Amour recently because it's a gorgeous orangey-red, bright enough to catch the eye, and it smells lovely! It's a great drugstore find.

And, the final result?

I hope you guys enjoyed this post! What are you favorite products for sweat-proof summer makeup?

2 comments:

  1. This look is really awesome! I love the glowing skin and statement lip. Also you're so fun to watch! I laughed when you said you'd been looking for your brush that was right in your hand. Priceless. Glad to know I'm not the only one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, lovely lady! You're wonderful. Hehe, I'm glad I got so many comments on the video saying I wasn't the only one ;) xo

      Delete