Thursday, February 19, 2015

Girly Grunge

I'll admit, living in Seattle, the hipster vibe has slowly snuck into my wardrobe. I have class at 8am, so waking up at 7, I put on what is comfy, while trying not to look totally homeless...which isn't easy every day. 'Girly grunge' is my new favorite style. Flannels, loose fitting cuffed jeans, converse, messy buns, boyfriend clothes, it's all comfy and grungy, but a bracelet or a pair of flats, and the feminine style kicks in! It is the perfect way to look like you're trying without even really trying!

Every Monday night the Bachelor is on at 8pm. And if I'm working, I go to ALL lengths to get my shift covered. Jason and I have our favorite, Kaitlyn. She's funny, they have good chemistry, and her style! I fell in love with her lipstick this season, and I've been wearing it all the time lately. I love wearing it with my grungy outfits because it adds the feminine touch without needing any accessories! I'd love to find a lip color with as much pop as hers, but for now, I wear 'Rebel' by MAC. I love this color because you can blend in to make it lighter or use it with liner to make a deep, dramatic purple look.



I've also been looking at a lot of 'girly grunge'/'hipster fashion' boards on Pinterest, and have been inspired by some images...



                                                                          

After seeing all these images and loving the looks these beautiful girls had on, I was inspired to create some of my own!

Flannel Wrap Arounds

Putting a flannel around your waist works with jeans, jeggings, dresses, skirts, leggings...basically anything. And you can always slip it on if it gets chilly! 

My favorite look is wrapping Jason's flannel (shhh, he hasn't noticed yet!) around a simple low-back jersey dress. I wear it with studded booties to add a little edge, and a unique clock necklace that has a lot of sentimental value to me. The hat adds some femininity too!

 Dress: Forever 21       
Hat: Crossroads Trading Co.



Booties: American Eagle

Crop Tops

You can get these at American Apparel anyday, but they'll cost you about $30 too much...I buy mine from Forever 21 for $5 in a long sleeve, and cut the sleeves off. It looks edgier that way, and it works great for when the sleeveless ones are out of season! 

I love the look of crop tops, but am not brave enough to wear them in public. But, for fashion's sake I wanted to add them in here. They look really cute with high-waisted cuffed jeans, and a wrapped around button-down blue oxford hides the 'mile-long butt' that all the guys complain about when girls wear high-waisted pants...problem solved! The red bag, gold chain necklace, and leopard flats add a ton of girly to the outfit!

Jeans: American Eagle
Crop Top: Forever 21
Flats: Express
Button-Down: H&M

Necklace: H&M

Bag: Crossroads Trading Co.

Military Jackets

In Seattle, almost every girl has one, and I couldn't be left out of the bunch. The best part about them is that they cinch at the waist, so they give a flattering shape. I added a structured bag with gold accents. The booties add some more edge to the outfit, and the red glasses add a cute, feminine touch.

Jacket: H&M

Bag: Crossroads Trading Co.

Booties: H&M

Converse

Another Seattle trend I couldn't pass up on! But why spend $60 on a pair of shoes with absolutely no support for your foot? I got some look-alikes at Maurices for dirt cheap and love them! I love the burgundy color because they still go with everything, but they add color to my boring outfits. Here, I put a baggy white sweater over a simple, black pleated skirt, with a leopard clutch. These three items are girly, but the boxy shape of the sweater paired with the shoes gives a comfortable, effortless vibe.

Sweater: Kimchi Blue (from Urban Outfitters)
Skirt: Crossroads Trading Co.

Shoes: Maurices

Clutch: Style & Co.

Baggy Sweaters

My absolute favorite right now. They're comfy, they're warm, and they look effortlessly stylish. My favorite thing about the sweater in this look is that it has slits on both hips! The burgundy loafers and the floppy hat are the real style of this look. The baggy sweater and cuffed loose fitting jeans make it feel like you didn't even have to try in the morning!

Sweater: TOMS
Jeans: American Eagle

Loafers: Merona (from Target)

Floppy Hat: Crossroads Trading Co.

He's super helpful.

Messy Bun and Edgy Makeup

The messy bun is great for being on campus, and it's a mindless morning routine. A ponytail holder, a twist, and you look fantastic! If your 2nd-day hair isn't looking too hot, throw a baseball cap on and put your bun through the back and no one will know!

My new favorite edgy makeup routine is to line my eyes next to my lashes with a purple-brown lustre eye shadow. I like to do this starting thin, progressively getting thicket, and wing it out at the end. I also apply this shadow on the outer corners underneath my eye, connecting the wing. This works best with an angle brush. Next, I apply black liquid liner along the same area, but thinner so that the lustre eyeshadow just peeks out the top, and wing it out a little bit at the end. I then dab a pinkish sparkly shadow to the center of my eyelids and apply mascara to finish it off. I apply a strawberry colored blush to the center of my cheeks and use my 'Rebel' by MAC lipstick. If I'm heading to campus I'll grab my reading glasses before I head out! This routine takes about 5-10 minutes. I'd love to do a tutorial on the eye makeup if you are interested!


My OOTD

Today on campus I wore a plain black t-shirt, cuffed high-waisted skinny jeans, a flannel wrapped around my waist, and white Converse I got consignment for $20! I wore 'Rebel' by MAC for the girly addition.


Do you have any styles you are loving right now? I would love to see your style and inspirations! xoxo

Update 2/20: Was touched to receive this text today from my closest friend sporting her girly grunge look! Made my day. She has been the most supportive, loving friend a girl could ask for. The feedback is incredible. Doesn't she look beautiful?


2 comments: