Saturday, February 14, 2015

Homemade Oatmeal Scrub

While I love my sugar and salt scrubs, sometimes the exfoliation with the grains can be hard on the hands. Especially when it is winter, your hands are cracked, dry, sensitive, and needing some soft and gentle attention. As you know, I have an obsession with coconut oil...so of course that's what is in this homemade recipe that I am pleased to share with you!

What you'll need:

1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1 tsp brown sugar
Something to store your scrub (I love using mason jars, all different sizes!)
1 1/2 cups oatmeal (I used old fashioned oats)
1/2 cup organic coconut oil
1 tsp honey (raw is the best choice)


Directions:

1. Put oatmeal in a food processor and grind until it is somewhat finely ground.

This is how mine looked when I was done.

2. Put the ground oatmeal in a bowl. Add brown sugar, honey, and vanilla.

I like to make sure my brown sugar is packed in the teaspoon measure tightly!
3. Melt coconut oil and add to the bowl.


4. Mix until well combined and store in an airtight container.

My favorite thing about this scrub is that it is so soft and gentle on every part of the body, but it still works as a great exfoliator. I love to use it on my hands because they are so dry from the winter weather, and very sensitive to rougher scrubs like sugar and salt scrubs that are more coarse. The vanilla and coconut oil combined also makes it smell good enough to eat!

This scrub also has many health benefits because of its ingredients. Coconut oil will leave the skin hydrated and incredibly smooth. Oatmeal removes dead skin cells and soaks oils, so this works great on the face as well. Oatmeal is also great for soothing things from dry skin to sunburns. Honey is an antibacterial in raw form. Brown sugar is a great exfoliator because of it's grain size, it is a great exfoliator while remaining gentle. Vanilla extract provides Vitamin B and antioxidants for overall healthy skin.

This scrub is healthy, natural, and a breeze to make! Body scrubs are expensive and sometimes rough on the skin, so this is a great solution. They also make perfect gifts, just pop your scrub in a mason jar, add a little decoration or two, a label, and you are good to go!

A label, a little fabric, some string, and voila!

Some burlap wrapped around would be an extra cute touch!

Tonight, I went to hop in the shower to use my scrub, and Fitzy wasn't so approving. "Mom, I'm not doing anything wrong, am I?" with the guiltiest expression on his little face.

Hopefully you will give this one a try and find this scrub to be as gentle as I did. I would love to hear any homemade recipes you'd be willing to share as well as any comments/suggestions for future posts! Comment below or shoot me an email, I would be so touched to hear from you <3  

Happy almost-Valentine's day lovelies! Xoxo

2 comments: