Saturday, February 21, 2015

Peanut Butter Heaven

When I was growing up, my grandma made the absolute BEST peanut butter cookies. Then again, grandmas make the best everything, don't they? I love the idea of getting to experience those childhood favorites when I go back home, and keeping those recipes sacred. So instead of asking for her perfect peanut butter recipe, I thought I'd look around for one. And guess where I went? Averie Cooks of course.

I can't say enough good things about these cookies. First thing, they are BUTTERLESS! What? Yep. Not even a drop of butter. Julia Childs would be disappointed, but I promise they're worth it. The butter substitution is my number one favorite for everything in life: coconut oil. It gives the cookies a perfect, and I mean perfect, consistency. If you like fresh out of the oven ooey gooey cookies, these are the ones to try. And you might want to save about half of the dough just for eating with a spoon...they're that good.

Here is the link if you want to check out her awesome website: http://www.averiecooks.com/2013/03/soft-and-puffy-peanut-butter-coconut-oil-cookies.html

If not, I have a short and simple version below!

What you'll need:

*1/2 cup coconut oil
3/4 peanut butter (creamy, something standard like Jif)
1 cup packed light brown sugar
1 large egg
1/4 tsp sea salt
2 tsp corn starch
1 tsp baking soda
1 tablespoon vanilla extra (yes, you did read that right)
1 cup flour

*If your coconut oil is really hard, try and microwave it for 5-15 seconds. You want it to be softened, but not runny!

Directions:

1. Grab a large mixing bowl. Throw in the coconut oil, peanut butter, sugar, and egg. Beat until creamy.



2. Add in vanilla extract and beat until combined.


3. Add in flour, corn starch, baking soda, and salt, and mix until combined. 


This is how your dough should look. If you press down on it, the batter will stick together, but it won't stick to your fingers.

4. Form your dough into balls and put on a baking sheet lined with aluminum foil. Make sure your dough is shaped the way you want because this will be hard to change once they're chilled.

To form dough balls, take a tablespoon measure or cookie scoop, press it into the door and then scrape it up the side of the bowl.

Drop the heaping tablespoon of dough on your hand, and repeat this, placing the next dough ball directly on top of the one you are already holding. This gives you two heaping tablespoons of dough per cookie. 

Press this double tablespoon ball onto your baking sheet, and remove the tablespoon. You will have what looks like a little ice cream scoop of cookie dough.

Flatten the mound as desired.




5. Cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate your dough for a minimum of 2 hours.

6. After they're chilled the required time, preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line baking sheet with parchment paper. Bake 6-8 cookies per baking sheet for about 8 minutes.

7. Yum yum, eat 'em up! (If you've seen the Little Rascals as a kid you'll hopefully get that reference)

Yeah, that's my finger, I suck with technology.

This is probably my favorite cookie recipe so far. Jason said he didn't like peanut butter cookies and never has, but when I made him try one of these he completely took that back! And he's kind of a food stickler, when he says he doesn't like something there is usually no changing his mind. So that means these cookies are amazing! If you haven't tried any of the recipes I've posted so far, or have been hesitating on which one to try, I would definitely say to give these ones a go first thing. Like, now. Right now. I just found the recipe yesterday and I'm already on my second batch!

Let me know what you guys think! Any cookie recipes you rave about? I'd love to see them! xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment