Sunday, February 15, 2015

Valentine's Day

In this generation, Valentine's day might be about the flowers, the chocolates, and the greeting cards, but that isn't how it has always been. Of course, Valentine's Day is in honor of Saint Valentine. Feasts began in his honor, but the way the day was celebrated changed rapidly. In the time of Geoffrey Chaucer, Valentine's Day was a day to embrace romantic love. In this era, courtly love was tradition; chivalry and nobility. Today? Hallmark cards, fancy candy, stuffed animals, and gifts beyond measure.

I'll admit, I'm a sap for Valentine's Day. I'm that girl that says "I don't give a single crap about it", but am secretly not so nonchalant. I told Jason this year that I didn't want to do anything, then found out he was scheduled for work. I dropped hints for a week...and he got it right away. I told him I didn't want gifts or surprises, I just wanted a night with him. And I think that is what the day is supposed to be about.

There's always people that absolutely despise Valentine's Day. I get it. It increases Hallmark's sales, it makes single people feel crappy, etc. etc. BUT...there is a point to it. One thing has stayed the same throughout all these years: appreciation of a loved one whether that be shown with chivalry or 77% cocoa. Even though this appreciation should be shown every day of the year, it gives all loved ones (not JUST couples) a good excuse to be together for a night whether that means a romantic dinner out with a partner, a night in on the couch, or snuggles with the kids. It is just about showing love, in all forms.

After realizing this, I sat and thought about tonight for awhile, on the past 2 and a half years I've been with Jason. How many things he has given up for me, how many things I couldn't have gotten through without him, and all the amazing ways he has changed me. A night with him alone to remember and make more memories with him was all I needed. So, if you don't come home to flowers on the table or chocolates on the dresser, remember than a simple I love you means even more, and that is what Valentine's Day is all about.

Here's a glimpse into my night tonight, which I couldn't have asked for a better guy to spend it with. We wen't to a nice Italian restaurant, in light of the fact that we haven't been out to dinner in months together, and it was exactly what we needed.

We started out at Mama Stortini's with some bread and marinara.

A Shirley Temple is a necessity for me, everywhere!

This is my man. I can't say enough good things about him, and I can't wait to spend every future V-day with him.

Some chicken parmesan for the guy.

A delicious meatball marinara sandwich with a blue cheese crumble side salad for this girl.

We ended the night at the sold out showing of Kingsman. Our night was full of good food, and so much laughs and happiness. College, work, and a million other life choices can make life stressful and serious. Sometimes a night to get the mind off of things makes more of a difference than planned.

How did you spend your Valentine's Day? What are your thoughts? I'm hoping to slowly add some more personal posts in here so you can get to know me, because I want to get to know you! xoxo

2 comments:

  1. Happy Valentines Day to one of my favorite couples 😘💕

    ReplyDelete