Tuesday, March 22, 2016

Estee Lauder Double Wear [I'm late to the party]

Helloooo! I hope you guys had a super lovely weekend. So, I got to see Jason this weekend for the first time since I moved, so I was obviously super excited! Unfortunately, my camera, laptop, and tripod weren't exactly a practical choice for the bus ride or the weekend itself, so thus the lack of blogging and vlogging the past bit.

Today I'm starting a totally new series! I think there are a lot of products that people rave about all over the beauty world that you sometimes sit and wonder "is this really worth all the hype?". I'm often the last person to buy those products, so I thought I would start a series called [I'm late to the party] where I give you my 110% honest review on a product that's been raved about for centuries and it feels like I'm the last one on the planet to buy one! I love watching the really hyped up youtube stars, but sometimes I gravitate to smaller youtube channels and blogs for the truly honest reviews because there is comfort in knowing that there is no brand pressure, no sponsorship, not advertisements, nothing but the pure enjoyment of talking about makeup. I really hope that this is what that series does for you guys. Heads up - this is going to be a very information based, text-heavy post, so grab yourself a lil' snack and a cup of tea and relax! I just want to give you all the information I can. If you want something real quick and easy, the video version is short and sweet!


If you haven't lived under a rock in the sea with Patrick Star the past few years, you probably know that Estee Lauder Double Wear Stay-in-Place Makeup is one of the most raved about and loved foundations of beauty bloggers all over. I can't count how many people include this in their "holy grail" and "worth the hype" posts. It's been out for a very long time and people have loved it for just as long, and it continues to bring in new interest even after all this time. Well, they reeled me in like a fish without a brain you guys. Well over a month ago I finally decided to get it out of my system. Honestly, I was sick of hearing about it and I didn't believe it could be true, and I had to test it for myself. Sometimes seeing really is believing I guess. Spoiler alert: I'm an Estee robot now. This is hands-down the best foundation I've ever tried in my life.


Let's talk about the foundation itself really quickly. It comes in a gorgeous frosted glass bottle with a gold cap. Unfortunately, there is no pump, which I do find frustrating for it's high price tag, especially when I am a true believer that excess product is used when a pump isn't available. But, if you aren't lazy like me, you can go to a MAC store or order online and get a foundation pump. It claims to be a 15-hour wear foundation that lasts through "heat, humidity, nonstop activity" (sephora.com). It claims to be a "lightweight, oil-free, and buildable formula", "leaving your makeup looking as fresh as when you applied it" (sephora.com). It is a fragrance free and non-acnegenic product. You receive 1 oz of product (standard for most foundations) for $38. There is an enormous shade range, so choosing your shade really shouldn't be an issue, and if you have trouble with this, head over to Temptalia.com to help get your match, that is what I did to find my color.

The formula

I have the shade 1N2 Ecru with is specified for Pale Ivory Beige with Neutral Undertones according to the Sephora website. I found this color to be a perfect match. When I first poured this foundation onto my hand, the consistency was surprising to me. For such a full-coverage foundation, I expected the formula to be thicker. It was kind of evenly between thin and thick, if I had tipped my hand where I placed the foundation, it isn't so liquidy that it would've slid off, but no so thick that it wouldn't budge. The foundation feels very light on the skin, is easily sheerable or buildable (sheer with beautyblender application or by mixing beauty oil into the foundation prior to application).

Application

I honestly don't feel that a primer is even necessary with this foundation, a simple moisturizer should do the trick just fine. I use Stila One Step Correct to neutralize redness and brighten my complexion, but I don't find it to be a makeup pro-longing primer, and I use that underneath this foundation and haven't found it to wear any less time without the primer.

I tried applying this foundation with different foundation brushes and my beautyblender, but I found that I like the beautyblender best because it spreads the foundation across my skin beautifully and makes it look more natural, but doesn't lessen the coverage too much. When I say natural regarding this foundation, it doesn't look like skin (not that natural), it definitely looks like makeup, but it doesn't look overdone, cakey, or thick.

Coverage

This foundation is absolutely a full coverage foundation. The thing I love most about it is that you don't need a lot of product to get full coverage out of this, and it doesn't look like a cakey full coverage.

Finish

The finish of the foundation is a demi-matte. It isn't luminous or flat matte, it is a perfect meeting point between the two. I do like to set my foundation with powder always, just so that the powder products I apply on top go on smoothly and don't appear patchy at all, so I do set this foundation with the Laura Mercier Translucent Powder.

Makeup application

After setting the Double Wear with a powder, my makeup products glide on like a dream and blend beautifully. I have had no issues with makeup application post-foundation or pre-foundation. I have put corrector underneath the foundation and the foundation applies beautifully on top. I have put liquids and powders on top of the foundation, and nothing disturbs it or reacts poorly.

Skin reaction

I have very sensitive skin so I was very excited to see that this foundation was non-acnegenic, but I had never heard of such a thing, so I was also a little nervous to the try the foundation. I have this weird expectation that full coverage foundations will really seep into my pores, clog them, and cause my face to react poorly (why I don't use silicone primers). My skin hasn't had any poor reactions to this foundation and I have been wearing it religiously for at least a month now. If anything, my skin has become accustomed to it, because wearing other foundations sometimes irritates my skin now. It is a foundation that requires full cleansing and toning at the end of the night to remove from your skin thoroughly, it is called "stay-in-place makeup" for a reason afterall.

Wear

I have no doubt for a second that this foundation lasts for the 15 hour claim time. I wore this foundation for the video review for 12 hours, and my foundation still looked great at the end of this period of time, which I think is just insane. Below is a photo after 13 hours of wear with this foundation (I don't usually wear makeup this long, purely for review this time). As you can see, the foundation and all products built on top of it are completely in tact and unbothered on my cheek area. There is a bit of shine on my nose and forehead, but after 13 hours it should look more like I just got off a record speed treadmill run, whereas here I somehow just look like I ran errands for a bit or got too warm in my jacket. There is redness around my nose, but I was blowing my nose every 5 minutes from being sick, so that is likely a factor. There is a scratch on my chin peeking out, also because I scratched it during the day. There is absolutely no artificial lighting or editing done to this photo.

Every day I wore this for the first week I would come home from a long and crazy busy work night asking myself how it was possible that this foundation held up so well!


Verdict

If you guys couldn't already tell, I am absolutely head over heels for this product. I finally understand. Hands-down my new holy grail #1 favorite foundation. I think this a great foundation for everyday wear because it doesn't feel too heavy, but also great for events because it is full coverage and looks flawless. I have no shame for my new undying love for Double Wear. If anything, I feel shame for not having discovered it for myself sooner! This is one of those products that feels as though it completes your collection, that it's the reason you've been trying so many different products, to get to this one, at least that was my feeling. Cup of thoughts and a bag of tea approved [I'm late to the party]!

I hope that this kind of a series is going to be helpful for you guys, and if there is a product that I'm definitely late to the party too, don't hesitate to comment down below or shoot me an email cupofthoughtsandabagoftea@gmail.com to chat with me about what you'd like me to review or anything else, I love chatting with you guys! If you'd like to see a demo and close ups at the end of 12 hour wear, check out the corresponding video at the top of this post.

Thank you so much for sticking around for such a lengthy post you guys! I wanted to include as much information as I possibly could, those are my favorite kinds of reviews. Make sure to comment down below with your holy grail #1 foundation, and I'll talk to you soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment