Wednesday, March 23, 2016

Spring makeup tutorial + trying out new products

Happy spring everyone! It's officially here. So, of course I wanted to do my first spring makeup tutorial as quickly as I could. I thought this would be a great opportunity to bring in a few of the many spring products that are launching right now, show them in action, and do a tutorial for a natural and glowing spring look all in one. There are so many new products launching for spring that I can't keep up. I chose all products that have released in the last 1-2 months that I have had time to work with and see how they work best so that I can kind of talk through, review, and show you them. I also haven't been hauling anything new (as much as I want to) because of my transition right now. For the products that are newer launches from the past few months, I captioned them with 'NEW' below each photo of products that I used, and I also shared the not new products that I gravitate towards and use everyday.

For this look, I wanted a super wearable look for everyday with luminous skin, bright eyes, and healthy looking overall. This is such a simple tutorial that anyone can get down with whatever products they have at home, so I'm going to walk you through the steps, and show you what products I used. If you prefer the quick route in a video, feel free to check out the speed through tutorial below as well.


Base


NEW: Becca Backlight Priming Filter (large bottle)
NEW: YSL Touche Eclat Neutralizers 'Bisque', 'Violet' (pens)
NEW: Algenist Reveal Color Correcting Drops 'Green' (dropper bottle)
1. Always start with cleansed, toned, and moisturized skin! This will keep your skin healthy and hydrated throughout the day and works as a great base for your makeup to glide on top of.

2. Priming your face is always a good step to start your makeup routine. All products will build better with a primer as your base, and you can always find one for your specific needs whether that be makeup prolonging, luminosity, mattifying, hydrating, etc. I chose to use the Becca Backlight Priming Filter which is a newer product from the past few months. I adore this primer because it gives the skin the most healthy looking luminosity that peeks through under any foundation. I think this is an amazing new launch and it perfect for spring!

3. Color correcting is a huge trend right now and many products are being released. My favorite of all color correctors that I've tried are the new YSL Touche Eclat Neutralizers. They are pens that release product that is a very thin and blendable consistency. It doesn't cake up or feel thick, and the formula is just a dream. I use the color 'Bisque' under my eyes and 'Violet' in my highlight areas. Another great spring launch are the color correcting drops from Algenist Reveal. I have a free deluxe sample from Sephora in 'Green'. I love the consistency of this because it is very thin, so you can put it under foundation easily, or you can mix it with your foundation to cancel out redness if it is an all over issue. I put a bit of this onto a concealer brush and dab onto blemishes and redness.

Face


NEW: Laura Mercier Candleglow Soft Luminous Foundation 'Vanilla' (left)
NEW: Benefit Dew the Hoola (top)
NEW: Sephora Perfection Airbrush Mist Blush 'Such a Peach' (right)
1. One of my favorite launches the past few months was the Laura Mercier Candleglow Soft Luminous Foundation. This foundation looks just like skin, gives the perfect amount of natural coverage, and really does make you look like you are lit by the light of a romantic candle. It's perfect for a dewy spring look. I apply this using a flat top kabuki brush.

2. Apply concealer under your eyes and blend out using your method of choice (mine is a damp beautyblender). My holy grail is NARS Radiant Creamy Concealer.

3. Benefit released Dew the Hoola, a liquid matte bronzer, within the past month. I got my hands on a free deluxe sized sample, and as you can see in the video (my first time using it), I am super impressed! It blends out beautifully, doesn't look nearly as orange as it does when you first pump it out, and it applies to give you a natural looking bronze. Apply by dotting where you usually bronze (for me, this is above my cheekbones, my hairline, and above my brows, and my temples). Blend out with your fingers using tapping and sweeping motions. It blends very easily with the warmth of your fingers.

4. Sephora released an air mist blush, which comes in a spray can. It comes in a couple different colors, I have 'Such a Peach' which is a stunning peachy pink color. I saw Tati haul this and she raved about it, so I had to give it a try, and I am absolutely in love with it. It lasts for the entire day, is a dream to apply over foundation, and the colors are perfect for spring. I spray about 6inches away from a blush brush, and lightly tap onto the apples of my cheeks first, then work my way back on my cheekbones.

Setting


1. To make sure that your makeup stays in place throughout the day, use a setting or finishing powder all over to lock everything in. I reached for Hourglass Ethereal Light, which is almost a white powder with shimmer. This gives the skin the most natural, beautiful glow and I've never seen anything like it. I love how this powder doesn't mattifying like setting powders do, it just accentuates the luminosity of your skin, it's truly gorgeous. I used Hourglass Diffused Light to set my under-eye area. Yellow tinted powders are best for under the eyes because they brighten the area while setting it. I love this powder because it does have that perfect banana tinge, but it also brightens more than the average yellow setting powder because of it's soft focus effects that all Hourglass Ambient Powders contain.

Eyes


NEW: Too Faced Peanut Butter & Jelly Palette (top)
NEW: Anastasia Brow Definer 'Soft Brown' (bottom)
1. Make sure to start your eye look that your eyes are primed, this will keep your shadow lasting all day long. To skip a product you can always prime your eyes using your concealer.

2. Too Faced released their Peanut Butter & Jelly palette recently, full of warm shades and a few pops of color. This palette was revolved around the raved shade 'Peanut Butter' from their Semi Sweet Chocolate Bar palette. It smells like the chocolate bar palettes but with a peanut twist (so it smells AMAZING, but don't worry, no peanuts, so allergies are a-okay). I felt like everyone on youtube has been doing the same exact look with this palette, so I wanted to just keep it natural and simple today.

Apply a matte natural shade from lashline up to brow bone all over to neutralize redness and give a neutral base. I used 'Extra Creamy' in the PB&J palette. Next, apply a warm brown shade very lightly in the crease and outer socket of the eye using small brush strokes. I used the shade 'Peanut Butter'. Next, apply a shimmer shadow all over the lid to add brightness to your eyes. I used the shade 'Spread the Love'. Go back in with a blending brush and make sure everything looks seamless.

3. Using a black eyeliner of your choice, line your upper waterline to add depth to your eyes. Ardency Inn eyeliners are my go-to and stay in my waterline all day long.

4. Apply a jet black mascara to your lashes. YSL Babydoll Mascara is my tride and true for fluttery, false looking lashes.

5. Outline and fill in your eyebrows with a shade that matches you. Anastasia Beverly Hills launched a new brow product called the Brow Definer within the last couple months which has a slanted tip. I love this for my big bushy brows because it really speeds up the process! Next, using a clear or tinted brow gel, brush through your brows to set them for the day. I always reach for the Benefit GimmeBrow.

NEW: MAC Lip Pencil 'Rosy Rim' (top)
NEW: Givenchy Rose Inderdit Vinyl Lipstick '03 Rose Mutin' (bottom)
1. Before applying lipstick, no matter the shade, I like applying a lip liner to line and fill in my lips because it makes my lipstick last longer throughout the day, and you can create your own shades when you mix and match colors! MAC released some gorgeous new colors in their normal lip pencils awhile back (probably 6 months ago or so) and one of the shades was Rosy Rim, and gorgeous poppy pink that I thought would be perfect for spring.

2. Givenchy released a new sheer lipstick with the most modern and sleek packaging I've ever seen. I have the shade '03 Rose Mutin' and it is beautiful on its own or paired with liners. Alone, it gives a sheer wash of cool pink that makes you look healthy and hydrated. With a lip liner, it gives a beautiful moisturized looking shine. I adore the formula of these lipsticks because they are so creamy, comfortable, and ultra hydrating.

I really like this look because it looks really natural, very spring and fresh! I hope that you guys enjoyed the little walk through, and make sure to check out the video to see the steps first hand. 

What trends and products are you guys excited for this spring?

No comments:

Post a Comment