Wednesday, March 16, 2016

Five ways to incorporate coconut oil [into your daily life] | Part 2

HELLO! Long time no talk guys. It's been a crazy last couple of days adjusting, moving in, all that jazz, so I'm sorry for my absence here on the blog, but I'm hoping that within the next week I can get into my groove again. Today I thought to ease back in we could finish the two part series about coconut oil! The last post, if you didn't see it I will link it here, was about five ways to incorporate coconut oil [into your daily diet]. This post is going to be about how to incorporate it externally, like your skin, hair, etc. You guys know about my obsession with coconut oil, and so I thought I would share with you some of my favorite ways to use it. They are such easy ways that you can try at home!


1. Use it as a massage oil // Coconut oil is an extremely smooth consistency and is extremely hydrating. You can melt it in the microwave first, or you can use it as is and the warmth and oils of your skin will melt the oil as you use it. Massage oil is good for reducing friction between the skin and the hands during a massage, but you can't use just anything in place of massage oil (olive oil and almond oil are other good alternatives). I love using coconut oil because it leaves my skin feeling ultra soft and hydrated.

2. Use it as a hair mask // Coconut oil is said to be better than any synthetic conditioner out on the market. Simply massage it into your hair and your roots, down to your ends, and leave it in for 20 mins minimum to overnight, and wash out after or the next morning. It will leave your hair the softest, shiniest, and strongest you've ever felt it. Coconut oil doesn't break down easily and it retains moisture, so it will hydrate your hair better than a lot of expensive hair masks. It won't leave your hair feeling greasy or with residue like olive oil does. It is good for lice prevention, hair loss, damaged hair, split ends, etc.

3. Bathe with it // Like I've said a million times, coconut oil has incredible hydrating and moisturizing properties. My favorite way to incorporate it into the bath with me is to create bath soaks with coconut oil in them. Sea salt or epsom salt mixed in with calming lavender or soothing chamomile tea and a splash of melted coconut oil will exfoliate, soothe, and moisturize while you sit back and relax.

4. Use it in a sugar scrub // My favorite sugar scrubs to make are sweet and simple - melted coconut oil, sugar, and my favorite essential oil. If you want to go crazy, you can add pretty much anything natural and healthy to put on your body like coffee grounds, vanilla extract, tea, etc. Coconut oil makes the consistency of the scrub easy to use, and it allows you to exfoliate your skin gently while leaving your skin baby soft. I love jarring mine and keeping it in the shower, it makes your legs as soft as a baby's bum (I've always thought that's such a weird term).

5. Use as a topical moisturizer // Instead of spending $30 on a tub of anti-aging, sallow-correcting moisturizer from a fancy skincare company, go to your local Trader Joe's and get a canister of organic virgin coconut oil for $5.99 and use this as your moisturizer. It has so many good properties, and studies have shown amazing effects that is has, like acne reduction, and a little goes a long way so it will last you ages!

As you guys can see, using coconut oil in your daily life is so easy! Even if you can't use it every day, once a week in your bathtub or as your moisturizer will really hydrate and improve your skin, hair, etc. in a natural way. I hope this post was helpful for you guys hearing the simple ways I like to use coconut oil externally. How do you incorporate coconut oil into your life?

2 comments:

  1. I love all these ideas- thank you! I'm going to try the sugar scrub! I've made a body balm using coconut oil and have been looking at ways to use it more on my body.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Lizzie! I'm so glad it was helpful! Sugar scrubs are the bomb, they're so easy to store and take just a minute to make, and there are so many different varieties. They make such awesome gifts too. You'll have to let me know how it turns out! xo

      Delete