Saturday, March 26, 2016

Homemade oreo crunch cookies

Hey guys! I hope you guys are having a lovely day, and that you have fun Easter plans tomorrow! A lot of my memories of Easter (from when I was young) are egg hunts and all the delicious candy that the grocery stores start selling this time of year, Cadbury eggs, robin's eggs, peeps (yeah I like those little sugar covered marshmallows, don't judge). So, in the spirit of sugar and unhealthiness, I thought that I would share a recipe with you guys, especially since a food related post is long overdue!

Last night Jason was visiting me, and he was craving cookies, and I realized that my fridge was missing butter sticks, and my pantry was missing chocolate chips...so I freaked out a little (the cookies were basically me bribing him into staying an extra night with me, shhh). I decided that I was going to go out on a limb and try something random and throw together some cookie related measurements and ingredients and then go from there. And, if you know me, you know that I have a weirdly obsessive love for Oreos. I always have a pack of Oreos at home, with an extra backup in case I run out. I go through gallons of milk like a crazy person because I eat so many Oreos. And, anything with Oreos in it is kind of my jam - Oreo McFlurries, flash fried oreos, anything Oreo and I'm in. So, I threw them in with my cookie batter, and they turned out freaking delicious. I'm sure this has been done before, but I threw it all together, so I'm calling this my recipe. Just in time for Easter dinner.

Ingredients:
Pure Virgin Organic Coconut Oil (8 tbs)
Cane Sugar (1/2 c)
Light Brown Sugar (1/4 c)
Pure Vanilla (1 tsp)
1 Large Egg
Baking Soda (1/2 tsp)
Sea Salt
All-Purpose Flour (1 1/2 c)
6-8 Double Stuf Oreos

The steps:
1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees so that it's ready by the time your batter is! Place a silicone baking mat (my favorite method) or parchment paper on top of a cookie sheet so that your cookies don't stick to the pan or burn on the bottom.

2. Measure out 8 tablespoons of coconut oil. If your coconut oil is rock hard, microwave it for about 10-20 seconds. You want it to be soft and smooth, like softened butter, but you don't want it in liquid form. Put this into a small mixing bowl, and using an electric mixer, cream the coconut oil with 1/2 cup of cane sugar and 1/4 cup packed light brown sugar. Beat for about 3 minutes (don't skimp on this part, creaming these ingredients is the foundation for perfect cookies).

3. Add 1 teaspoon of pure vanilla and 1 large egg. Beat for a few seconds until well mixed, you don't want to overbeat the egg.

4. Add in 1 1/2 cups of all-purpose flour, 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda, and a dash of sea salt (a couple turns out of a grinder). Use the electric mixer to mix in the dry ingredients. Then start to mix the dough with your hands. It should be easy to work with and form into a ball if you press it together, and the batter shouldn't stick to your hands at all.

5. Put 6-8 Oreos (depending on how heavily you want the flavor to appear) into a ziploc bag. Crush the cookies (I like using the back of a spoon to do this), then pour into your dough, mixing them into the dough with your hands.

6. Using a small cookie scooper, scoop 8 mounds per pan for approximately 8-9 minutes for tender cookies (keep in mind that my oven is probably from the 70's and is about the size of Barbie's oven, so this time cook estimation might not be very accurate for YOUR oven). They should look golden brown on the top, and still feel pretty squishy when they come out of the oven, they will harden up as they cool, but the coconut oil keeps them moist and gooey. Cook longer for crunchy cookies.

7. Grab a glass of milk and enjoy!



I hope you guys enjoyed this recipe share! My mom and Jason both tried the cookies and said I definitely needed to share it on the blog. If you try the recipe, please let me know! What is your favorite kind of cookie?

No comments:

Post a Comment