Tuesday, July 7, 2015

I'm back ~ With some summer essentials!

Well hey there, it's been awhile - a few months blog-less. Special thanks to Maddie Humphreys and Liliya Bromet for the encouragement to start blogging again, your support makes me so incredibly happy! 

What have you guys been up to these past few months? I started going to the gym pretty vigorously, and I can't wait to share some awesome fitness tips, routines, and recipes with you guys coming soon. I also started working full-time, which means way less sun and fun for me (but way more daydreaming and brainstorming time inside - which is great for the blog). 

Beware - this post is probably going to be really long. But...it's been way too long and I'm so excited about this amazing weather we've been having, my summertime craze is settling in. I figured the best way to get back into blogging would be to give you a peek into my summer - clothes, products, accessories, all my favorites and necessities for this lovely season. I put links to each product if I could find them, and if not, there's a cute and similar alternative! I hope you enjoy, I've missed you all!

Shoes, shoes, shoes!

Let's talk D'Orsay...
*drool*. These are my favorite flats - comfy, stylish, and perfect for work. The footbed in these Franco Sarto flats is probably the comfiest flat I've ever found. 

I love the D'Orsay two-piece look of these flats, and the two tones go with every work outfit I own.

Strappy sandals - a summer must-have.
I love the bright sea green color of these sandals, they add a pop of color to a simple, casual summer outfit of light denim shorts and a solid tank. They're adjustable, so they fit perfectly to any foot. If you plan on trying these, they only come in half sizes, so order up a half size, they run small!

New fave - unique flip flops.
These sandals are a casual favorite - the gold elastic band fits perfectly around my foot and adds something little to what would otherwise be just a boring tan flip-flop. I am weird and hate the way flip-flops flop around and make so much noise, so these sandals are perfection for me. And I love the bohemian style they give off!

Neutral Necessities

Simple black tank, a must-have in every closet!
I love this simple black crochet-trim tank. It's so light and breezy, and it is a little longer than most tanks, so it is extra flowy!

The crochet trim is a perfect touch for such a simple tank.

My favorite part of this tank - the open back. I love wearing this one with a bandeau underneath, so there's no bra straps ruining the simpleness of it - I love the look of a bare back under a tank. I got this one consignment, but if you like the look, here is something similar with crochet and a sheer back you may like!

Basic grey tank, another must-have basic.
From the front, this looks like a plain ol' charcoal colored tank...

But the split back makes it way cuter! Most split back tanks cut really high up the tank and are completely open back, but I love this one because it doesn't cut till halfway down, and the flowing fabric makes it so the slit only shows back when you're walking just the right way. I also got this one consignment, but here is something similar from Nordies.

A classic, black and white.
This black and white chiffon tank is perfect with jeans and sandals, or to work with capri slacks and a a nice blazer. It has a really high neck, so the slit in the front hits high enough that it isn't at all revealing. It is sheer enough that it shows a bralette underneath as well. Another great consignment find - but here is something similar!

Basic cream tank, for any summer outfit.
Every girl needs a cream tank somewhere in her closet. Dress it up with a statement necklace and a kimono, or dress it down with distressed jeans and sandals. The spaghetti straps make this tank nice and simple, while the layering adds a little character. It is so comfortable and perfect for any occasion!

Boho Style

Flowy dresses for days out in the sun.
I recently found this dress consignment and am so in love! I love the floral and paisley print. My favorite thing about this dress is the fit - the waist drops lower than most dresses (more like a baby-doll than a fit 'n flare), It fits loosely, flows perfectly, and it doesn't look big or shapeless. The neck down to the waist has some really pretty lace details.

If you like this pattern, here is something similar, and if you like the fit, try this one!

Lounge shorts, for an effortless look.
Love this loose fitting, high-waisted style right now. They are extremely comfortable, they feel like jammies (I'll admit I'm pretty sure these are meant to be PJs...oh well, shh). The best part - they have pockets! Elastic waistband, so no annoying drawstrings or buttons! 

Funky pattern - but I like it! If you like the style of these shorts, they have some really great ones for cheap prices at Target! Something like this...

Vintage shorts, a casual staple.
I always said the whole vintage mom-jeans look would never get me (just like I said with jean jackets, Sperries, and maxis), but you guys got me, I'm all in. They sit just high enough that you're never pulling them up, or reaching for a belt, but they don't ride up your lady business either.

I like these pockets better than the Levi's vintage, but these ones I just got lucky enough to come across consignment (if you can't tell, consignment is kinda my jam).

Seriously comfiest pants I've ever owned, they don't even feel like denim! Downer is that I can't find these anywhere online, I can only find their men's denim. But if you like the look, Etsy has some really great remade vintage options, and supporting their shops is always awesome!

Bralettes Peaking Through

A cream bralette, to go under any color shirt.
This corset style bralette in cream goes with any color tank, and has more structure than most bralettes. 

Mint bralette, for a pop of color.
This is my favorite bralette, I don't think I could make it through the summer without it (I may or may not have a few different colors...). It is really stretchy which makes it uber comfy! It also has lining on the bust section, but the back and under the bust are sheer lace, which makes it so pretty! They come in a million different colors (I warn you of the danger ahead of time).

Summer Accessories

Blush, a color to accessorize any outfit.
Blush has always been one of my favorite colors, and gold has always been my favorite pick for jewelry. I got this necklace at Forever 21 probably a million years ago, and I still get compliments every time I wear it! Blush goes well with lots of colors (my favorite combination is blush and military green - weird, I know, but trust me it works). Here is another Etsy suggestion!

Bright crossbody bags, to add to those simple summer outfits.
First thing, I'm sold on almost anything Zara.

Second, I'm sold on almost anything in bright summer colors - and this yellow totally caught my eye. Snagged it used for $10. Here is a nice Target alternative in mustard yellow!

Chiffon headwraps, hippie chic!
Another summer must-have, chiffon headwrap! You can wear them up with a ponytail to hold your hair back, or with your hair down over your ears for a real hippie look. I found this one at World Market for $5! They're usually really reasonably priced and a great accessory for a simple casual outfit. Here is a cute one from H&M!

A good book, to read in the sunshine.
Probably the biggest summer necessity is a good book. I finished this one in just a day and a half because I couldn't put it down, even though I know I'm a little late on reading this one. I have a list of books for the summer that I need to get through. But this one keeps ringing in my mind, I loved it so much. P.S. Please share any book recommendations below ;)

Heat Helping Necessities

PJ sets, for the hot summer nights.
My house is insanely hot, so nighttime for me means night sweats, restless sleeps, and ripping clothes off piece-by-piece. Finding these PJ sets at Target with my mom was a saving grace. The fabric of this one is so cozy, and bonus - they are cute! There's a couple different styles and colors, and the set is only $15. They keep me cool through the night and they're so comfy that I wear them just to lounge around in the house. 

Grapefruit and ginseng, to keep a clean face.
During the summer, my skin gets irritated from the sun, the sunscreen, and the sweat from the sun and sunscreen. I need a good face cleanser that won't irritate my face, that exfoliates gently, moisturizes (and doesn't cost a million bucks). I've tried so many different cleansers and I love this the best, the big pump bottle is about $6, and lasts a long time if you use about a dime a cleanse. It has little micro beads that are gentle enough that you can use it as a cleanser every day. It also smells like grapefruit...bonus!

The perfect masque, to moisturize and deep cleanse that summer dry skin.
I know, I know, I've talked about this one before, but I can't help it. By far the best masque I've ever owned. A mere ten minutes, my face is soft as a baby's bottom, it's reasonably priced, and it doesn't dry out my face! 

Shea lotion, for those dry legs and arms.
Moisturizer, the number one beauty necessity during the summer. I obviously just got this one because it had my name on it, but I ended up loving it! It has a really nice floral smell that isn't overbearing, and the shea makes it ultra hydrating.

Fragrance mist, to smell good through the summer sweat.
Another issue during the summer is maintaining good smells...usually deodorant works just fine, but the sun sometimes makes that one impossible not to sweat through. My mom gave me this VS body mist and I fell in love! The smell is really nice and it isn't too strong, and this little bottle is lasting me forever.

Hairspray, to hold hair and keep the frizz out.
Holding hair becomes a serious issue when the sun and heat come out. A bigger issue - the frizz, the oil, and the inability to tame. I've had a heck of a time finding hairspray that works for my hair, is reasonable, doesn't make my hair smell like crap, and doesn't make my hair so stiff that I can't move it. This is it. The smell isn't strong, and it isn't that normal nasty hairspray smell. It doesn't make my hair ultra stiff, but it still holds it in place. 

Pink lips, for a extra touch of makeup.
A light lip color like nude or light pink is perfect for going out in the summer. 'Please Me' is a Matte finish by MAC that I love! It looks good on a lot of different complexions, and it goes with any outfit. The perfect touch for a summer day or night out where you feel like glamming up a little.

Artistry makeup, for freshening up a summer night out.
Another Artistry obsession or two - automatic liquid eyeliner and volume mascara. I love this liquid eyeliner because it's so easy to put on, and it doesn't smear, which is so great when it gets hot out and I have all my makeup on. This mascara is my all-time fave, another Artistry win (thanks Lil and Casey)! I wore this in the water a week back and it didn't smear or come off at all, and it isn't even supposed to be waterproof! Perfect for a glam-up summer night. P.S. Find all my artistry faves on Liliya and Casey's website!

Summery nail colors, to brighten up those exposed toes.
Sandals are out, so the toes come out, which means those babies need to be painted. My favorite summer colors are blush (imagine that), mint, and deep purple. These are my three favorite nail polish brands - Julep, Urban Outfitters, and ELF, they seem to stay on and go on the best for me!

Okay guys, that is my lengthy, summer essentials guide. I hope you enjoyed it and that you were able to hold on till the end with me, I'm so excited to be back! I can't wait for all the fun summer posts and brainstorming! I'm going to try to post at least once a week, and I hope you guys comment, give your feedback, and let me know what you do and don't want to hear about. I hope you are having a lovely summer, and thank you all for your support, you are all amazing! Now send me some of your fave summer essentials! Xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment