Thursday, January 22, 2015

DIY Distressed Pants

With winter season just starting, I've been gravitating toward darker wardrobe colors, dramatic makeup, and edgier style. I found an old pair of pants in my drawer, and I finally decided to do something with them. I've always loved the style of distressed denim, but I have a hard time spending $50 on a pair of pants with a million holes in them! So, I decided to distress my dirt cheap H&M jeggings.

What you'll need:
1. A pair of pants
2. A box cutter or knife (scissors work too)
3. A razor (optional)
4. A wooden block, or a hard surface small enough you can slip into your jean leg.


Step 1: Put your pants on, and mark with a visible pencil at the areas you wish to distress (you'll be thankful that you didn't just start cutting in random places pants-off). I chose to distress mostly around the knees, because it looks most natural. I marked where I wanted the distress to begin and end on each knee.


Step 2: Take the pants off, and place a hard surface in the leg of your pant, under the area you plan on cutting. I chose to use a hardback book.

  

Step 3: Begin cutting where you've marked on your pants. Start with your marked areas and work inward. Cut your strips about a half inch apart, any thinner may unravel your pants, and thicker might not give the look you're trying to go for.


Step 4: For the rest, take the knife to larger sections, and the razor to smaller areas such as the pockets and the cuff of the jeans. I chose to cut a few small slits on the upper thigh and lower calf of each of my legs, as well as take the razor to the hem on the back pockets, front pockets, and the bottom of my pants.



Step 5: When you're happy with the way they look, throw them in the washer and dryer. Wash, dry, wash, dry, and you're done! Easy peasy.

Step 6: Pair with an outfit of your choice for an edgy look!

I chose to go with a dark purple lip color (Rebel by MAC), and I double-winged by liquid eyeliner for an even edgier look!

I paired my distressed skinnies with some H&M ankle booties, a graphic shirt, and a floppy felt hat.

 

Let me know what you guys think! Do you have any cool wardrobe tips or DIYs you'd like to share? I'd love to hear them! xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment