Thursday, October 15, 2015

7 tips for glowing autumn skin

One thing we all vie for in these chillier months is healthy skin. As soon as fall hits, I always notice my skin starts to dry out, my lips lose some healthy color, and dry parts of my skin start to flake or chap, and when I don't use the right products, or don't take the right steps, my breakouts get bad. I work as a server, so constant movement and oily skin by the end of the night is always an issue for me.  If those oils are sitting on your skin for hours, and makeup isn't totally washed out of your pores at the end of the night, dark spots and breakouts in these target areas are super common, and nobody likes that. Every girl loves some concealer, but for us non-makeup-artists, it can only do so much, which is why I wanted to do this post. 7 tips for glowing autumn skin from good moisturizers to products to avoid in these months. Autumn is by far my favorite time of year, but it does a number on my skin, and taking care of your skin during these next 6 months through fall and winter is so crucial and should be treated differently than the other half of the year! This is long one - bear with me! <3

1. Creams and milks

First thing's first, when you're searching out for your perfect fall cleanser, avoid anything that is going to be drying to the skin. For me, I like to stick to anything with the word "cream" or "milk", anything with a thicker, white consistency is generally a good start. These cleansers are going to be gentle on the skin and very hydrating. For some people, this takes some serious getting used to because most creams and milks don't lather, but I find them great for sensitive skin (which is a serious issue for me). Here is one you might try by Caudalie that has great reviews!

During these months, I try to avoid as much powder as possible in my makeup routine. And once you go liquid, you'll probably never go back (as in my case), which is what your routine should consist of in fall. I find powders to cause my skin to be much more oily and dry than liquids. Creams and liquids allow my pores to breath during the day, and they look luminous and natural. I use liquid foundation, liquid concealer (both in medium coverage, so I don't look cakey), cream blush, cream eyeshadow, and setting spray instead of setting powder. It's amazing how much lighter your skin feels when you start using products like these as well.

Here are my favorites:
Mary Kay medium coverage liquid foundation
Mary Kay concealer
Mary Kay cream blush
MAC paint pot
MAC setting spray

Here is my liquid makeup routine finished, it gives a healthy, natural glow.

2. Coconutty

Don't be afraid to go all DIY Pinteresty on your face. If you stick to pure, raw, organic substances for these homemade recipes, almost none of these experimental DIYs can affect you very poorly - worst comes to worse, they might just not work wonders for you! My favorite is coconut oil as a moisturizer. Coconut oil is amazing for dryness anywhere on your body from your head to your toes. Coconut oil has ingredients that help open up hair follicles, which makes it a great natural hair mask too. You can find organic coconut oil at any grocery store, and most skincare brands will carry a mask or moisturizer with a popular hydrating oil in it such as avocado oil, coconut oil, or jojoba oil (these are all amazing). Here are some great healthy combos for hydrating and exfoliating make-at-home scrubs.

Coffee scrub
Ground coffee (brewed, because it is gentler on your skin)
Coconut oil / olive oil (personal preference)

Vanilla scrub
Raw brown sugar
Coconut oil
Pure vanilla extract

Honey scrub
Coconut oil
Raw honey
Granulated sugar

3. Drop some bucks on your beauty

I know it sucks, spending hard-earned money on something that seems so trivial. But if you get anything out of this post, take away this point: YOUR SKIN IS WORTH IT. Yes, it's going to be expensive, and yes, it's going to hurt when you hand over the money, but your skin will thank you. This doesn't mean you need a whole skincare line from three different beauty providers, but it does mean to pay attention to what you're buying, read the reviews, ask questions, understand your skin type, and be willing to pay a little more money for something that will pay off. You'll probably be more willing to take the time and effort to research and really think about what is good for your skin, since your wallet is at stake. And remember, a $50 tub of night cream will probably last you month after month after month if it's a good product. The better the product, the less you need in my experience. Higher end products tend to be more moisturizing and more potent, so very small amounts are needed, and the products you're paying top dollar for will stretch out 6 months or more. Whereas drugstore products (while there are some great finds out there) require larger amounts, which means you're going through a $10 bottle a month on something that isn't doing you justice, why wouldn't you go for the good stuff?

4. Masques

I'm a sucker for face masks, they're like dessert for your face, a spa at home, and they leave you feeling clean and smooth. But during fall, I have to cut down. During other seasons, I will generally mask 3 days a week. During fall and winter, I cut this down to maximum 2 days a week. 2 days a week is how often I mask with a hydrating mask. Once a week is best for masks like clay masks, that aren't meant to hydrate, but meant to strip your pores of all their gunk. Hydrating masks are a great extra to add to your skincare regime during the fall, overnight masks are easy to find so they aren't a hassle, and they will make your face feel like a baby bottom if you find the right one. Here is an overnight hydrating mask you might want to try!

5. MOISTURIZE MOISTURIZE MOISTURIZE

If you take a second point away from this blog post, take away this: moisturize all of it. Moisturize all of it all the time. Head to toe, day to night, lotion lotion lotion, yes. Got it? This is so important! This is the most important step during these skin drying months. Moisturize before bed always! Moisturize before putting your makeup on always! And this step is the easiest. After you've cleansed, just slap on the hydration and crawl in bed. Trust me, your skin will suck it all up fast. Look for the word "cream" in moisturizers too - hydrating creams, moisturizing creams, products like these will require a small amount, go a long way, and feed your face like you wont believe. Here is one I tried as a sample from Birchbox awhile back. It moisturizes like a dream, but I'll be honest, it smells freaking weird. So in case you aren't into that, try this one. I haven't tried this one, and it is very pricey, but every sample I've received from Dr. Jart has been a miracle worker!

6. Pay attention to the ingredients and learn your skin

Learn your skin whether that means testing out products or seeing a dermatologist, whichever you are most comfortable with. Try to avoid products with fragrances when they're going on your face. While the scent is nice, some scents cause sensitivity! Try hypoallergenic or sensitive skin products if you're worried about this.

While some people prefer to use / need to use acne spot treatments or heavier treatments with acid for blemishes (ie. people with very acne prone skin or people prone to scarring), avoid these as much as you can. It's not that they are terrible for your skin - salicylic acid is very popular in tons of skincare products and works as a great acne treatment and exfoliator. The catch? It is so drying to your skin, and harsh. Since I've always had sensitive skin, salicylic acid has always been a no-no for me, I just have to work through zits naturally and wait them out (sorry if that's major TMI), and this is the most natural, healthy way to deal with blemishes. Yes, they suck, but everyone gets them, so what. If you are going to use products with salicylic acid or drying ingredients, try to use them as a spot treatment where they are needed, instead of on your whole face. Here is a spot treatment with a more gentle acid.

7. Serums

Another great extra in your skincare routine for the fall are serums or rejuvenating oils. These are insanely hydrating, and most serums will include anti-aging, anti-wrinkle, preventative formulas as well. While serums are fantastic, they definitely are't necessary, but if you're super stoked about getting your skin back on track, this would be a good addition step. And a little goes a long way with these babies. Here is one to take a look at. Here is another one, specifically to aid your eyes.

Man, oh man. Thanks for bearing with me you guys. I know I've never really done a post like this before, so I would love some feedback! Did you enjoy the skincare tips? Are these kinds of posts something you would like to see more of? I'd love some fall post suggestions.

Do you have any questions about my skincare routine or the makeup products I love?

What are your favorite skincare products? I would love to try them!

Xo

No comments:

Post a Comment