Sunday, October 4, 2015

Healthy hair

When I got my hair colored awhile ago, my hairdresser called my hair "virgin hair", since I've never colored it before. She warned me about hair damage, told me tangles would get worse after coloring my hair, and directed me to use a color safe shampoo along with a hydrating conditioner, since chemically treating hair dries it out so much. I've been trying my best to keep my hair as healthy as possible. While this might seem gross - part of keeping hair healthy is not washing it as often as you'd think. I make sure not to wash my hair every day, I wash once every other day minimum, and if it doesn't look too greasy I try and go two days without washing it. Washing hair too much can strip a lot of the healthy oils that your hair needs! This goes for your hair, your pets hair, all of it! We all have essential oils that our bodies produce for a reason! We don't want to get rid of them! This is also why buying good shampoo and conditioner (even though it can create a hole in your wallet), is important. You only need a dime size drop in your hand to lather, so think, that $30+ bottle of shampoo/conditioner will last you a long time, worth it!

Since I'm trying to find every way to keep my hair healthy, growing healthy, avoid split ends, and drying out, I've been looking at simple ways and products to keep it healthy. I have a new love. ARGAN OIL. A little of this stuff goes a long way, folks. Two drops out of my 1 oz bottle. Many argan oil bottles are diluted, so it may suggest you use more than this depending on what you buy, but the argan oil I purchased is pure, so very little is needed. This small amount is enough to moisturize your hair without leaving an oily residue. As you already know if you've read my blog before, I'm obsessed with coconut oil. And while it is amazing for hair, it is difficult to wash out and can leave your hair looking greasy and gross if you aren't thorough. The nice thing about argan oil is that you can use it as a leave-in-conditioner. You can also apply it to dry hair before a shower if you want to. I used mine as a post-shower leave-in conditioner...

The steps:

1. Purchase pure argan oil. It runs about $10 for a 1 oz bottle, and prices go upward from there. I linked my purchase from Aria Starr (found on Amazon) above. If you buy this one, they'll send you a few emails, I received one after purchasing regarding all the ways to use the oil, how theirs is different from other brands, and another email asking how I liked the product. The emails were equally nice and annoying.



2. Apply! I applied mine post-shower with damp hair. Squeeze two drops on the palm of your hand, rub, and starting with your scalp and roots, work your way to the ends of your hair, and comb through. This is easiest if you flip your hair over (head upside down), applying from your scalp down, then flipping back up to comb everything through. Dry or style as necessary after! I let mine air dry to avoid heat damage from a dryer. I've only used it for about a week now and my hair is noticeably softer and shinier!


Do you have any healthy hair tips and tricks? Or any hair products you love? I'd love for you to share!

Xo

No comments:

Post a Comment