Saturday, November 14, 2015

Classic in a midi

Every year, styles come back from pre-2000's that some of us aren't always stoked to see. This year, it's the 70's. Suede skirts and flared jeans are back, I'm not on that bandwagon. My favorite trends stick around the 40's. Midi skirts, A-line dresses, peter pan collars, kitten heels, curled hair, just plain classy. That "old soul" look that is rarely seen today. My inspiration for this look came from some outfits I've seen in movies and music videos.

Here are just a few inspirations...

1. Blake Lively in Age of Adaline // Blake played this role amazingly well. She was poised and classic throughout the whole movie, and the costume designer was on point. She had the perfect "old soul" fashion with kitten heels, loafers, slacks, classy sweaters, red lips, I loved all of it!


2. Head and the Heart video Another Story // First of all, I never get sick of this song, it's beautiful. Overall, just a win from the message of the song to the vocals to the fashion. Midi skirts, mom jeans, polaroid cameras, and peter pan collars, perfection.



3. Taylor Swift video Begin Again // I won't lie, I love me some Swifty. She also has some dang good style. She pulls off the classic look so well. In this video, she wears a gorgeous floral midi skirt, with this chiffon tie blouse, and looks stunning.


My look

My favorite style from the 40's are midi skirts. They are so flattering on tall figures, and they are so classy. A little pattern on the skirt, with solid colored top and simple heels, you don't need much more. One of my favorite parts about fashion from the 40's is that the looks are incredibly simple. Part of looking classy is the simplicity. You don't need much to look put together, it's all about the pieces and how you style them. To make this look more modern, I put on a crop top with a criss-cross detail on the hem, that showed just a peek of skin. I styled this with a cream colored wallet and simple black heels. I feel like no matter what you pair with a midi skirt, they are just so classy! They are also super easy pieces to transition from summer to colder months (this is definitely more of a summer midi).




Top: Silence & Noise (UO)
Midi: Old Navy
Heels: H&M // Alternative
Wallet: ALDO

Hair & Makeup

I wanted to keep the hair and makeup for this look really simple. I went with a very natural face, light colors on my eyes (neutral browns on the lid, light cream on the inner corner, and matte burgundy on the outer corner) with light mascara, and a natural looking lipstick and liner. I pulled one section of hair back from each side of my head and bobby pinned in the back.




Lip liner: MAC Whirl
Lipstick: MAC Twig

I want to try and do a couple more looks in the future that are inspired by my favorites trends pre-2000's! What is your favorite year of fashion? What is your favorite style?

Xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment