Monday, November 2, 2015

The great eight

I hope you're all enjoying this beautiful transition into fall - 1st of November - woo! I went to Starbucks this morning and the RED CUPS ARE OUT. Peppermint mochas are here. The holidays are my favorite time of the year, I get that from my grandma, who starts Christmas shopping in September (that's actually kind of late for her). Cookies, decorations, and everything festive runs in the family, so expect to see lots of holiday related items and post in the next couple months! <3

I'm going to try something a little different on the blog today. About a week ago, I posted on Facebook seeing if anyone who reads would like to see me try vlogging, and few people said I should give it a go! I decided to experiment a little and try something kind of weird. Since my camera quality (my Acer Chromebook webcam) isn't great, and the color isn't super, I decided to do my video in little parts. So, I'll have different sections below, and each will have a little clip about a minute and a half long, with photos and text to follow. This way, if you guys want to choose just a couple, you don't have to skip around a long video to see what you actually want to watch. And, for those who don't want to watch the videos, the text will tell you exactly what you need to know. As you all know, I am totally obsessed with MAC lipsticks, so what better video to start with than my favorite lipsticks from MAC? Let's give this new style a try!

Intro


1. Twig - Satin finish




MAC describes this shade as a "soft muted brownish-pink", which I would say is very accurate. It definitely goes on with a more brown hue than pink, but how it looks differs so much depending on your skin tone as well. Twig is a satin finish, which means it will apply similar to a matte finish, but with more sheen and more of a moisturizing feel. The satin finish won't last as long as a matte finish, but they last (in my experience) about 3-4 hours, which I'm very happy with! A lipstick similar to this shade from MAC is Brave (the one Kylie Jenner is said to use).


Whirl is the lip pencil that I like to pair with Twig. MAC describes this one as a "dirty rose". It definitely has more of a brown tint than I expected, but it pairs very well with Twig. Don't worry, I have hand swatches below! Similar shades are Boldly Bare and Soar.

2. Plumful - Lustre finish




Plumful is one of two of my new favorite fall shades! I found out about it from Essie Button's YouTube channel, because I absolutely love her, and she always has the prettiest looking natural shades of lipstick, so when I saw her recommend this one, I had to go grab it at the MAC store. MAC describes this as a "blossoming rose-plum". I had never owned a lustre finish before, and I am so happy with it! It's the most moisturizing lipstick I've ever owned, it goes on very smoothly, it's build-able, and the light sheen it has is beautiful. However, a lustre shade does not last long! It's only going to last about 2 hours depending on what you're doing. A similar shade is Syrup. Here is a fashion post where I am wearing Plumful.


I've never worn a lip pencil with Plumful, because it is so light and has such a sheen that I don't find it necessary. But, if you love lip pencils and need one to match, Beet would work well, but I would highly suggest filling in your lips with the pencil, then applying the lipstick. Lip pencil lasts all day long, but since this lipstick wears off quickly, the last thing you want is to be left with a lining of your lips an hour into your work day! Beet is described as a "vivid reddish-pink". A similar lip pencil is Magenta.

3. Rebel - Satin




MAC describes Rebel as a "midtonal cream-plum", which I sort of agree with and sort of don't. I find Rebel to be heavy in deep purple hues, but it depends on how you build it up. This is one of my favorite things about this shade, you can do a very thin, glossy-looking layer of a light plum, or you can build it up to a very deep purple, and adding liner makes it very intense. Rebel is definitely a pain in the butt to put on. You must have a steady hand, because if this goes off your lips, it is almost impossible to get off - beware! This is by far the most used of my MAC lipsticks. Almost every 'MAC favorites' video on YouTube has Rebel in their list. Similar shades are Heroine (much more of a vivid purple), Fashion Revival, and Heaux.


Vino is my favorite lip pencil to pair with Rebel, because if you line your lips dramatically, it almost makes Rebel look like a completely different shade of lipstick. You guys know I love a dark, bold lip, and that's exactly what this combo does. It is described as an "intense violet-purple". Similar shades are Nightmoth and Currant. Here is a post where I pair Vino and Rebel.

4. Girl About Town - Amplified




Girl About Town is described as a "bright blue fuchsia". I love this color. It is a perfect, vibrant hot pink. It's so feminine and I really love the finish. This one is an amplified finish, which means it gives coverage like a matte lipstick (opaque and longer wearing), but is much more hydrating. I would say this one lasts about 4 hours. It goes on very smoothly, and the sheen is super pretty. Similar shades are Flat Out Fabulous (on the more purple side), Impassioned, and Pink Nouveau. 

I don't wear a lip liner with this shade, because I don't find it necessary, but Magenta would be a great shade to pair with it. It is described as a "vivid pinkish purple".

5. D for Danger - Matte




D for Danger is described as "brick red", and is a matte finish, which means it is going to be very long-wearing with no sheen, and a bit on the drying side. Matte finishes generally last me 6-7 hours or so, which is why I love them. Moisturize your lips before you put them on, and heavily moisturize or mask after wearing, and your lips will be perfectly fine. I have very sensitive lips, and I don't find the matte finish to be nearly as drying as most people say they are. I put on Khiel's lip balm prior to applying for moisture. A similar shade is Diva.


I like using either Beet or Brick lip pencil with this shade. Brick is described as an "intense golden red". Both colors go very well. Beet brings out more of a deep pink in this shade, and Brick brings out more of the red, so I base it off the look I'm going for that given day. A similar lip pencil to Brick is Redd.

6. Ruby Woo - Retro Matte




I'm sure you have all heard about this one. Celebrities are featured wearing this color often. It is described as a "very matte vivid blue-red". Retro Matte is a finish that is going to be super long-wearing (a tad bit longer than matte), more matte than the matte formula, and extremely drying. You have to work this on to your lips with patience and care, as it tugs on your skin when applying. The formula is absolutely beautiful, but prepare for dry lips at the end of the day. To me, this color applies as the perfect Hollywood, cherry red, but it also has a hint of coral. A similar shade (also retro matte) is Relentlessly Red.


I find Cherry to match really well with Ruby Woo. It is described as a "vivid bright blueish-red".

7. Russian Red - Matte




In the tube, Russian Red looks quite similar to Ruby Woo, but the way they apply is very differently, both in formula and shade. Russian Red is described as an "intense bluish-red". It applies as a much deeper red than Ruby Woo. A similar shade is Dare You.

I pair Russian Red with Brick liner, they match really well!

8. Sin - Matte




This is by far my favorite shade for this fall. It is described as a "deep dark blue red". It is so bold and eye-catching! Here is a post where I am wearing Sin with Nightmoth liner for a really vampy look.


Nightmoth is by far my favorite fall lip liner, and thankfully it looks amazing with Sin. It is similar to Vino, but darker. It is described by MAC as "blackened plum". It makes Sin look even more dark and bold. 

Swatches




Wrap it up



Okay guys, that's my great eight - just so you guys know why I love MAC lipsticks so much, here are a few reasons! I can't even tell you how much I love their customer service. The counters at Nordstrom are great, as well as the MAC stores (especially the MAC stores). They are always extremely helpful, willing to spend serious time with you, clean and swatch products, and help you find products that work for you and your skin tone. I love the breadth of finishes that MAC provides, and how a majority of them last through most of the day, which is great for my job where I am talking all night long. 

Thank you so much for reading / watching, my lipstick-wearing beauties! Please let me know below how you're feeling about this post, whether good or bad. I would also love to see you drop the names of your favorite lippies below!

Since I'm such a lipstick freak, I was thinking about doing some more posts about lipstick, like drugstore dupes and lipstick application tips / tricks. Is this something you guys would like to see?

Xo

No comments:

Post a Comment