Monday, November 9, 2015

Home sweet home travel bag

Sorry for not posting for a few days, loves! I left Thursday to go home for a few days and see my family. I had a super nice visit, but way too short, as always. Thankfully, I get to head back for Thanksgiving in a couple weeks too, which I am so looking forward to. I figured this little two-nighter trip home would be the perfect excuse to create a 'what's in my travel bag' post! I take the Bolt Bus from Seattle to Bellingham, so I have to pack pretty reasonably and light, with a bag that will fit on my lap for the two-hour bus ride.

What's in my bag // For the bus

For the bus ride, I always like to have a few little things to keep myself occupied from music to reading. In all honesty though, I usually just nap ;)

1. A cute duffle bag // This one is so essential for my trip. I need a duffle that is small enough to fit on my lap for the bus ride, but big enough to hold all my must-haves for three days. I really love this one I got from Sole Society, it's a really pretty burgundy color, it's real vegan leather, it has zipper pockets and open pockets inside to tuck in little pieces of jewelry or whatever you need, and the print on the inside is super cute! 

2. Ear buds // These are absolutely necessary for the bus ride! I like to be able to listen to music on my phone, and just be able to block out some of the bus noise, especially if I have someone sitting next to me.

3. A good book // For me, this is a tough one. I love reading, but I have a hard time doing it in a moving vehicle, it makes me sick. But, I never learn, and I usually get through about a chapter. BUT, for those of you who can read through the ride, this is such a great way to pass the time!

4. Laptop // Since my laptop (Acer Chromebook) is super light and portable, especially when tucked into a neoprene case with handles. The Bolt Bus has wifi, so I love being able to do blog prep on my laptop during the trip.

5. Journal // I love this journal from Nordstrom that was so reasonably priced. I love how feminine it looks and that it says 'Happy Everything' on the cover, which is so me! For when I can't use my laptop, if there is someone sitting next to me, I use my journal for blog prep and ideas. 

6. COFFEE // I never get on the bus without a coffee, ever. This last trip I was prepared to hop on the bus with a big toasted graham latte with whip, but the Starbucks I stopped at was OUT. I was so sad, but a vanilla latte is perfectly fine for the off seasons :)

What's in my bag // Body and beauty

1. Kiehl's Body Butter // Okay, guys. I'm prepping a November beauty favorites, so prepare to see this one on the blog again. The Kiehl's Creme de Corps grapefruit whipped body butter is basically Heaven in a tub. I usually like to bring a travel sized lotion since most of my at-home lotions are big bottles with pumps on them. But, this body butter container is nice and small, perfectly portable, and it's like a little treat for your body. I'm obsessed with grapefruit in every way, whether I'm eating it or using essential oils with it's scent, I just love it in every form, so I was sold when I saw this at Kiehl's, and I'm going through it way too fast. If you need to add anything to your travel bag essentials, please, please get this stuff!

2. Dry Shampoo // If I'm only traveling for a couple days, traveling with bottles of shampoo and conditioner is kind of annoying, so I usually just bring a bottle of dry shampoo to keep my hair clean and oil-free for two days. This Klorane gentle dry shampoo with oats is my favorite. It has a natural scent that I am in love with, and it works really well. I never knew about dry shampoo before trying this one in a Birchbox awhile back, and became obsessed with it instantly. 

3. Highlighter // When I'm traveling for a short time, I try and keep my morning makeup routine light and natural, so I'm not bringing a whole bag of products with me. I love using highlighter on the upper part of my cheekbones for a natural glow, and to create one less product in my bag, I like to use this highlighter from MAC (shade soft & gentle) as an eyeshadow too!

4. Makeup dissolve // Instead of packing a big bottle of makeup remover along with a bag of cotton balls and q-tips, like I use for my nightly routine at home, I like to bring a makeup remover cleansing balm with me. I received this one by Cailyn from Birchbox a long time ago, and I still have the sample size, which is so great for traveling. You rub it in circles all over your face, and your makeup literally just melts off - eyeliner, mascara, all of it! And you look like a zombie. I was worried this kind of product would leave my face oily or leave makeup residue, but you just rinse off with warm water and your skin is soft and completely clear of makeup, it's crazy. I always use regular cleanser and toner after just to be sure, since my skin is so sensitive and picky. Here is what I look like after I use it before rinsing...


5. Light fragrance // Instead of bringing a big bottle of nice perfume with me, I like to bring a travel-sized light fragrance spray. I usually get mine from Victoria's Secret. Some of my favorite scents are Pure Seduction (I kind of burned myself out on this scent awhile back) and Love Spell (current favorite).

6. Versatile lipstick // Bringing one lipstick that goes with everything is ideal for a quick trip. Plumful (a lustre formula) is my fall favorite. It's not too bold, and natural looking enough that it goes with just about every look! It's also moisturizing, which is great when you'll be reapplying it all weekend.

7. One skincare must-have // Since it would be a huge pain to carry your whole skincare routine on a short trip, I try and pick and choose what I really need, but I'm careful trying to choose so my skin won't suffer from it. One of my must-haves is the Daily Reviving Concentrate from Kiehl's. It's an oil that you need only one to two drops of, and you lightly press into your skin after a serum, and before moisturizing. It smells amazing, and it does amazing things for your skin. Even though some people are afraid to use it because it is an oil, it is okay for all skin types, and your skin just sucks it right up! I have the sample size that I got for free, and because it's so potent and you need so little, I've been using it for about a month and I still have over half the bottle left. Luckily, even the regular size is small and portable. 

What's in my bag // Style

1. Basic sweater // I try and choose tops that are super basic for when I'm travelling, that way I can put on a different scarf or necklace and have a totally new look for the next day.

2. Blanket scarf // My favorite thing about blanket scarves is how much they can warm you up, and they can be used as a wrap or blanket on the bus ride when it gets chilly. If you find one like my current favorite, you can pair it with an basic and it looks great!

3. Favorite jeans // On a short trip, I like to have one pair of jeans, my favorites, that I can wear all weekend. My current favorites are Madewell Skinny Skinny jeans in Edmonton wash. I can wear them with everything, and they're looser than any skinny jeans I've owned before, which I really like. They look great cuffed with booties, and they're insanely comfortable.

4. Girly studs // Since most of my clothes consist of basics for the weekend, I like to add a touch of girly with a pair of over-sized studs. I love over-sized studs because they peek out when you have your hair down, or they really stand out when you pull your hair back. Blush pink is my favorite color right now, so that is my go-to for a touch of feminine. 

5. Neutral wallet // Instead of having another thing to carry, I like to bring a neutral wallet or clutch for my trip. Of course, it always has to have a touch of gold or bling, like this one from Aldo.

6. Chelsea booties // Brown chelsea booties are my go-to for a casual outfit or a rainy day, and they go with everything from dresses to cuffed jeans. I wear mine almost every day!

7. Black quilted vest // A light vest is the perfect accessory to an outfit, a great way to add warmth, and a black quilted vest goes with everything. I got mine from Old Navy ages ago, and I still wear it really often, and it was dirt cheap!

8. Wool baseball cap // A wool cap is great for winter and fall days, if you get one in a neutral color, it goes with everything, and they're great for rainy days if you forgot a rain jacket! Here is a cute one from Nordstrom. AND, here is a pic of mine with my momma from this weekend! <3


9. Cute crew socks // I love wearing cute crew socks with my chelsea booties and cuffed jeans, so that a cute little pattern peeks through. I get my crew socks from Madewell. When they go on sale, they are really cheap, and they have such cute socks.

10. Seamless neutral undies // The PINK no-show underwear are my favorite, or seamless VS ones, because you can wear them with yoga pants or jeans and you can't even see a single line underneath. A black pair are essential to have, if not multiple! 

Now that you guys know what's in my travel bag...what's in yours? I'd love to see your travel essentials commented below!

Xo

2 comments:

  1. Travel bags play very important role in human life. When you will decided to go from out of country then you can keep their necessary things in your bags. I read your article, this is really interesting. Thank you for sharing with us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true! Oh, of course. Thank you for the comment, love! <3 Xo

      Delete