Wednesday, December 23, 2015

December un-birchboxing

Happy eve of Christmas eve! So, I got my Birchbox in the mail a couple days ago, and...it's going to be my last one. I kind of freaked out after I had the allergic reaction to face cream last week, that post is linked here, and I threw out every skincare sample I had that wasn't my normal Kiehl's routine, and I cancelled my Birchbox. And, after receiving this box, I'm honestly so glad that I did.

While I love the perks of being a Birchbox subscriber, like racking up points for reviewing your samples and getting coupons in the boxes, I'm sick of receiving perfume and skincare samples that I just won't use. I'm not a perfume gal. Jason got me one for Christmas 3 years ago that I still have 3/4 full, and it smells amazing, and I wear it on special occasions, but I won't wear anything else. Normal days I reach for a cheap body spritz or just my deodorant. When you create your profile for Birchbox, you specify what kind of samples you like, what kind of girl you are when it comes to makeup (ie. el naturale, trendy, etc.) and they ask you about perfume samples. Your options for perfume samples are "Never more than six times a year" or "As many as I can". I really wish there were a button for "NO PERFUME", because I've already received it 3 times, and I haven't even had my box for half a year. The problem with fragrances is that they are so particular to people, and finding my right scent is different than someone else finding theirs. Every fragrance I've received has been so perfumey, it's gone right in the trash can, which is a total waste. That was my biggest disappointment with Birchbox. Anyways, I'll stop ranting and show you guys my box!

The box this month was nice and festive, the pattern and silver made me think of snow and icicles, perfect for this season!


They sent out a coupon for $10 off a $35 purchase this month. The postcard inside talks about the excitement of the holiday season, and how the box contains an early holiday beauty treat for you. 


As always, I received the card with names, descriptions, and prices of all products I received in my box. Two of my samples came in the little Birchbox pouch (which will actually make for an awesome gift card holder this season).



1. Avene Hydrance Optimale Hydrating Serum - The high concentration of thermal spring water in the serum provide long-lasting hydration to soothe dehydrated skin // While the idea of this serum is appealing to me, since I have very dry skin, I have a Kiehl's serum that I love, and with my reaction last week, you guys know I won't be touching this serum. Sometimes the idea of receiving skincare products like this is strange to me. Everyone, unlike makeup, has a skincare routine that they have adjusted to and love for the most part, so why introduce something new? I've now learned that I won't. The only skincare product I like to experiment with is weekly masks. I have one that I love, but finding new ones that do different things for your skin is always fun. Makeup samples are much more exciting for me since it's easy for me to try new things and experiment with different looks. 

2. Christian Siriano Silhouette by Christian Siriano Eau de Parfum - Inspired by a dress from his Spring 2013 collection, this scent has the same light, glamorous, and feminine feeling // The packaging and bottle of this sample are very pretty, but the scent was much too strong and perfumey for my taste! Another one that headed for the trash can. 

3. Coastal Scents styleEYES Eyeshadow Palette - socialEYES - A bold, beautiful eyeshadow palette in alluring smoky tones // Lately, Birchbox has been revealing one sample early, and letting users log on to their account to choose which shade of the product they want. They did this starting a few months ago when they launched their LOC brand with Tati Westbrook, and it's actually been super cool. I chose this pretty emerald green and bronze shadow duo, and I was super excited about it because it's much bolder than what I am used to, and my Coastal Scents palette (Revealed 2) is really impressive for only having been $20. I tried this eyeshadow on right away because I was so excited, and unfortunately, I wasn't impressed. I'm not sure if it's the colors I chose, or just the quality of the shadows, but they were awful. The bronze colors was really pretty and pigmented, but the emerald green, not so much. I had to dig my brush into the pan to get any color, and I had to pack it on. It blended okay, but after 5 minutes of wear, I had the most fallout I've ever had with a shadow. If you click on the photo below to enlarge it, you'll see it - all over my cheeks and above my lips there were specks of dark green, not very alluring in my opinion.


4. Harvey Prince Sea Salt Texturizing Mist - This styling spray delivers beachy texture, big volume, and  a summery scent // This is the one sample I am actually stoked about! I haven't tried it yet, but I've been wanting to try a texturizing spray for ages. While my hair got more volume when I chopped it off, my hair has always been really thick and heavy, so it doesn't fluff up easily and it falls flat most days, so I can't wait to pump up the volume!

5. Supergoop! Daily Correct CC Cream SPF 35 - Light/Medium - Next generation SPF 35 CC cream that triple protects against UVA, UVB, and infrared rays // A little frustrated because I've received this sample before, and a little confused because I don't need UVA, UVB, or infrared protection with this weather! The light/medium looks more on the medium side too, and I am pretty light, if not fair, so I think this cream is going to be too dark for me. 

Okay guys, I'm done ranting and complaining about my Birchbox. Thanks for sticking with me through that!

Do you guys have any suggestions for subscription boxes? Are there any you try? I've heard awesome things about GlossyBox, Ipsy, and I've been wanting to try LaRitzy Box (a vegan cruelty free box).

No comments:

Post a Comment