Friday, December 11, 2015

Review: Benefit They're Real Mascara

I found my perfect match mascara a few months ago from Marcelle cosmetics, and I won't leave the house without it on my lashes. And, it's only $13 for the tube, which is just slightly above drugstore prices, but way better quality. I've never tried a higher end mascara, and I wanted to test one of them that everyone is talking about to see if it's worth the price and hype.

Benefit Cosmetics They're Real Mascara has over 4 stars, is reviewed by over 11,000 users, and the full tube is $24, the tiny travel size is $10. I stopped by Sephora and grabbed a travel size to give it a go.


Pros:

1. The Wand // The wand on this mascara really is as awesome as everyone says it is. It's perfect for using the wand horizontally to wiggle along your lashes. The end is shaped a little differently, and is designed to use vertically to slant out your outer corner lashes, making them look extra lengthened like false lashes do, hence the name "they're real". The end of the wand was my favorite thing about this mascara.


2. The application // After just one coat, I was super happy with how lengthened and fully coated my lashes were on both top and bottom. The application didn't go on clumpy, it separated my lashes while lengthening, which is a huge plus. You can hopefully tell in the photo where my eyes are closed that the application really does lengthen those outer lashes for a false lashes look.



3. Packaging // Packaging has never been a deal-breaker for me when choosing a mascara, but I find it appealing that this one has such simple and sleek packaging without anything crazy. Benefit has some crazy fun packaging for other items, so it was nice to see that this mascara obviously speaks for itself and doesn't need all the bling to appeal to consumers.

The cons:

1. Flakey // This is such a deal-breaker for me when finding a mascara. After just two hours of wearing this one I had so many black flakes of mascara residue underneath my eyes. It counteracts trying to brighten undereyes with concealer because it makes you look tired, and not put together. And, if you're going to spend $24 on something, it should definitely stay in place! I didn't rub my eyes at all during this time, and I tested it multiple days in a row during dry and wet weather to see if there were different factors affecting it, but every day I had the same problem. There are several people who have also complained about this issue, but it still remains a 4+ star review product, so maybe I'm doing something wrong! My Marcelle mascara has never flaked rain or shine, even after 12+ hours of wear.



2. Hard to remove // It's funny to me that this mascara is so hard to remove, but it flakes so much throughout the day. It has a sort of sticky texture that makes it difficult to take off at the end of the day, and getting ready for bed is a long enough process already!

The verdict: Not a fan! While I absolutely love the wand and application of this mascara, that just doesn't cut it if I am going to look like a zombie after a few hours of wear. Sorry, Benefit! Next on the mascara list: Benefit Roller Lash and Tarte Better Than Sex.

If you guys want to try Benefit They're Real Mascara, there are numerous places you can buy it! Birchbox, Benefit Cosmetics (use code DONTGO for free shipping or LOLLI for a free tinted balm with any order), Sephora (use code MIXITUP for a free holiday bag with 12 samples on a $25 order), etc.

Have you tried Benefit They're Real? What is your favorite brand and style of mascara? What are your mascara buying deal-breakers?

No comments:

Post a Comment