Monday, December 28, 2015

My makeup brush collection

You guys know that I've beens slowly building my makeup collection, and experimenting will all types of brands, products, and formulas. One of the things I've been loving experimenting with lately is makeup brushes. Now, I know some of my favorite youtube guys and gals have 100+ makeup brushes, and I'm more of a minimalist because my space is limited, and I really only want brushes that I'm going to use every single day, which means the ones I have should be nice, and well loved. I used to have all Mary Kay brushes, and they were several years old, with very rough hairs, and I can't believe the difference since I switched to trying a few different brands. I thought that I could use my collection to show you guys what brushes I think are necessary to have in your collection, and show you photos of which ones I have, and how much or how little I recommend the ones that I do own! Let's get this partay started.


1. Tarte Airbuki Brush // Powder foundation // For awhile now I've struggled with makeup feeling heavy and I have been itching to clean it off as soon as I get home from work. I've finally switched a powder foundation from Tarte, which I love, and will feature in an upcoming post. This brush is meant to use with this foundation, because it fits perfectly into the dispenser, but this brush would work well with any powder foundation. It is very dense, but is an amazing buffing brush, and gives your skin a flawless finish. The brush is so comfortable on your skin and easy to use. The only downfall? A little bit hard to clean. Other than that, no complaints! I have been obsessed with this brush. If you decide to try the Tarte Amazonian Clay Full Coverage Airbrush Foundation, I would highly suggest purchasing this brush along with it. Sign up for emails on tarte.com for 15% off your first purchase!


2. Sephora #45 // Multitasker powder // This is indeed the same brush that I mentioned during my December favorites post from yesterday. I love this brush because it is so soft, so universal, and easy to clean. The packaging is sleek and simple too. I use this brush to set my makeup with Laura Mercier Translucent Powder (also in my favorites from yesterday). It is also a great brush to set your under-eyes with setting powder or brightening powder. This brush is easily used to stipple or in circular motions. A must-have in my opinion! 


3. MAC 129 // Powder and blush // This is by far the brush that I use the most. I love that this brush is tapered because it gives it multiple uses. I pinch the sides together and use this brush to contour with a matte bronzer, as well as highlight my cheekbones and the center of my nose. I use the flat side of the brush to blush my cheeks. This brush is great because it is multipurpose. If you're used to MAC brushes, this one may be a surprise to you because it is much rougher than their other brushes. Some with sensitive skin say that the brush is too rough, but if you clean your brush with a mixture of soap and coconut oil, your brush may feel a little more gentle on your skin next time. If you want something more gentle, I would suggest the MAC 138, which will be much more expensive (this is why I purchased the 129).


4. Too Faced Shadow Brushes // Variety shadow // This set of eyeshadow brushes comes in a set of three, which is exactly what you need for your eyeshadow application. The kit includes a lid/smoker, a liner/smudger, and a crease/blender. I was so impressed with the quality of these brushes. The lid brush is great for applying all over the lid in a windshield wiper motion, or pressing to the center of the lid for more dramatic pigmentation. The smudger brush is great for applying highlight to the inner corners, and smudging darker shadows under the waterline for a bolder look. My favorite brush of the three? The crease/blender blush is so light and fluffy, and blends shadows effortlessly. Also, these brushes are light pink and adorable. Sign up for emails and get 20% off your first Too Faced order!


5. Smashbox Tapered Shadow Brush // Shadow // Now, looking at my brush collection you might thing that it's a little pointless to have this brush and my lid/smoker brush from Too Faced. But, these are two completely different brushes in size, hair, and purpose. If I am doing one color all over my lid, I love using this brush because it's very large, so it takes less time to cover the area of my lid. But, my favorite use for this brush? Setting my under-eye concealer with brightener. My dark circles are out of this world, so I use corrector, concealer, and a brightening powder to clean those babies up. This brush is great for setting under-eyes because it is fluffy, perfect for blending, and tapered for getting ultra close to your waterline. 


6. Benefit Definer Brush // Eyeliner // This is a brush that surely doesn't get used every day, but it is still a must-have. I use this brush to line my eyes with darker shadows, as well as my applicator for gel liners. This brush is perfect for precise application. Finding an angle brush that works for how you're going to use it can be difficult. I highly suggest browsing stores and feeling what's right for you before rushing into an online purchase. Brush photos online can be extremely misleading! Use code GBLIGHT online to receive a deluxe sample of Gimme Brow in light/medium with any order from Benefit Cosmetics, and GBDEEP code for Gimme Brow in medium/deep with any order. 


7. Tarte Undercover Lover // Concealer // If you only using brightening powder, or if you have a concealer with an applicator, this won't be a must-have for you. I love this brush to apply my corrector pre-concealer. The brush is tapered, which leads to perfect application near the inner corner of the eye. The brush is stiff, but soft at the same time. This is another brush I use every morning. And, a bamboo handle with gold accent! Tarte brushes are all gorgeous, and high quality, I'm always impressed. Use code TARTE2015 for 15% everything for Tarte's year end sale online!


8. Sephora #81 // Lips // This is a must-have if you have any love for lipstick, lip stain, or liquid lipstick. Lip brushes are a lifesaver for creating the perfect line with dark lipsticks, perfecting rough edges with liquids and stains, and for touching up around the mouth with concealer. 


There are a couple more brushes in my collection, but they aren't great brushes in my opinion, so I thought I would just share these ones with you guys. This selection of brushes covers every brush you really need for the basics. Then again, if you're a makeup artist, a brush hoarder, or someone who needs more specific brushes like for highlighting and contouring, liquid and powder, you may want to expand your collection a tad. But, I am perfectly happy with my small brush collection!

What brushes do you have in your collection? What is your favorite brand of brushes? Are there any brushes that I should look into adding to my collection?

No comments:

Post a Comment