Tuesday, December 29, 2015

Once you go brows, you never go back

I know, I know, I've always said in posts where I've done makeup looks that my brows will never be on point. Well, I was watching Claire Marshall on youtube one day, and realized how her brows went from teeny tiny, to pefectly shaped and stunning, after just a few minutes. My brows are big and thick, but the hair is sparse, and they've always driven me crazy. I guess I've always figured they would be pointless to try and work with. But, I came across one of my old modeling photos about a week ago, and saw how the makeup artist filled in my brows, and I had a glimpse of hope that maybe, just maybe, I could do something with these bushy messes. I loved how they looked so defined and intense in the photo, they changed the way my entire face looked. Fierce, almost (well, the smokey eyes, macrame hair, and the bird skull on my head might be helping with that too).


I followed Claire Marshall's tutorial, and went for the exact products that she used, Anastasia Beverly Hills Brow Wiz (Anastasia is the queen of brow products), and Benefit Gimme Brow. I purchased Brow Wiz in the shade medium brown and Gimme Brow in light/medium, and the shades were both a perfect match. One of my biggest problems with my brows is how sparse they are in the center, and the tail of my brows don't match. On my right brow, I have a large scar from when I was a wee one, and the hair doesn't grow in quite right, so my brows don't exactly match, embarrassing! So, my main focus was filling in my brows, and dealing with their odd shape.

I always start by applying my foundation. I don't like doing my brows first in case I catch my brows in the powder brush and ruin my brows. Make sure your face has been cleansed and moisturized as always. The most important thing is to pay attention to the way your brow hairs grow. Remember to create your strokes in these directions, it will lead to a much more natural look. Another thing to remember is that your goal is to create natural looking hairs, so quick and small strokes are the key! Don't fill in the very start of your brows, let these little hairs go wild! You don't want too harsh of a line or shape, and filling in this part does exactly that. Create shape and structure with your brow pencil. Pay attention to your brow arch, point, and the tail of the brow, and accentuate these shapes based on what you're given, don't draw your own make-believe brows! 

After your brows are filled in, use a spooly brush to soften the harsh lines, and comb your brow hairs through. I love the Anastasia pencil because the pencil itself is soft and leaves natural lines, and it has a spooly on the other end. 

Once you've combed through your brows, set them with a tinted gel. This will help with filling them in, and setting them in place all day. You can use tinted gel alone on days you want a more natural look or don't want to deal with the hassle.


Doing my brows takes me about 5 minutes of my makeup routine every morning, and since I started, I can't leave the house without doing it! It's so quick and easy, and makes everything look more put together. You can see the huge difference between my natural brow and my done brow drastically, but once you see me with both brows done, no one would know the difference except us. They look natural, but they add a little something.




Do you do your brows in the morning? What are your go-to products? Let me know if you guys are interested in seeing me doing a tutorial on the ombre lip that was in the clip above, or this natural look featured in the photos above this text.

No comments:

Post a Comment