Monday, December 7, 2015

Makeup cravings

Some girls crave makeup like I crave chocolate. And watching my favorite youtubers every day has made me crave it too. It's made me want to experiment with makeup, try new products, and not be stuck in the funk of the same makeup every day. I've realized through videos and tutorials that makeup, just like clothing, is a form of expression. Blush and lipstick can change based on your mood for the day, and it makes us feel more confident. I've been using the same makeup products for years and years until recently, and I only picked up a few new things. I have one blush in my drawer that I wear every day, and have no selection in anything other than lipsticks since I started wearing makeup. As you guys know, I love me some MAC, but I'm trying to branch out and research some other high-end makeup brands, but still in my budget range of course. I won't be reaching for any Tom Ford or Chanel anytime soon. I've been looking a lot into Bobbi Brown, TheBalm, Benefit Cosmetics, Tarte, and a few others. My favorite Youtube stars like Carli Bybel, Estee Lalonde, and Ingrid Nilsen all recommend different products and I'm slowly adding to my list what I want to experiment with. I thought I'd give you guys a glimpse into a few products that I've been looking at reviews of really often lately, and see if you've tried any, or if you have any recommendations. And, I want to talk body and beauty with you!


1. Tarte Clean Slate Primer // As you guys know, I'm usually not a primer lovin' gal. I did find the Kiehl's primer that I'm currently loving, but that is rare for me. However, youtubers all around are raving about Tarte's clean slate primer, including Estee Lalonde. She is my absolute favorite, so if she recommends anything, I am sold! Supposedly the consistency is like a serum, which really appeals to me since I had the silicone-y feeling of most primers. Also, the history behind Tarte and the company is super cool, read about it here.

2. Bobbi Brown Blush 'Apricot' // Another recommendation from Estee, this blush in the pan looks like a super hot pink, but is very blendable, and when applied with a light hand is supposed to give a beautiful, natural flush. I am also dying to try more of Bobbi Brown's products since I love their corrector so much.

3. Benefit Cosmetics Bronzer 'Dallas' // Since I do have remotely fair skin, finding bronzers that aren't orange-y can be a pain. I have to have a very light hand with my one from MAC (although I do love it), but I would love to try something new that is suited more for fair skin. This one has a greyish plum hue to it, which is perfect for contouring, as that is the natural shade of shadows. I really love all of Benefit's packaging, and their website is really great and easy to navigate. Props, Benefit! <3

4. MAC Paint Pot 'Soft Ochre' // I've talked about these on the blog before, because the consistency and packaging of the paint pots are so freaking awesome. They're creamy, they stay on all day, they're super pretty, and convenient for travel. I want to get this shade because it's such a light neutral, almost the color of my eyelids, so I can use it as a primer. I use the shade 'Groundwork' as my primer for powder shadows currently, but it definitely affects the color of the shadow I apply because the shade is pretty dark.

5. TheBalm Blush 'Frat Boy' // I heard about TheBalm the way everyone else probably has - the Mary-Lou-Manizer, the cult favorite highlighter. I've watched lots of videos of swatches of this blush. At first I thought it would be too peachy (I think orange shade blushes make me look sickly). But, when people swatch it and blend it out, like here (fast forward to 7:10), you can see that it blends into a beautiful coral pink hybrid, and I want it in my makeup collection since I have nothing like it. I lean towards pretty pinks and deep plums, so having something a little out of my comfort zone would be good.

6. Bobbi Brown Blush Brush // Since I've mentioned several times before that my brushes pretty much just suck, you guys know I want some newer, nicer brushes to experiment with. Bloggers and makeup artists all over rave about Bobbi Brown's brushes, but all of them say that if you have to pick one, the blush brush is by far the best.

7. Lush Ocean Salt scrub // I have always been one to make my own scrubs because it is cheap, and a fun little hobby (side note, would you guys like to see a few recipes for these on the blog as a holiday DIY?). But, I've heard loads of amazing things and seen amazing reviews on the brand Lush. All their products are handmade, and they have everything from scrubs to massage bars to face masks. They have a location in downtown Seattle, so I can't wait to go check it out!

8. Dior Hydra Life BB Eye Cream // Estee raves about Dior's beauty line, including their concealer, BB cream, lip products, and blushes. I'm sure you guys have heard of both CC (color correcting) and BB (beauty balm) cream, so as you can guess from the name of this product, it is by no means full coverage. It isn't going to cover up really dark circles. Estee describes it here as a great look for those days where you want to look like you just rolled out of bed looking nice and natural. 

9. Bobbi Brown Sterling Nights Palette // Okay guys, get this. I've never owned a palette. Till the Coastal Scents Revealed 2 Palette that I purchased for $20 a few months ago. I'm really enjoying the shades, but I would really love to have one fancy palette that has shadows that are super high quality. Seeing this palette makes me think of makeup for a night out on the town, and I am in love with all the shades on this palette. Also, look at that glorious packaging! Better be that fancy for that price though, huh?

10. Soap & Glory Breakfast Scrub // Another scrub? I know, I'm a sucker. BUT. This one supposedly smells like oats, bananas, and honey, oohlala! I've heard fabulous reviews about Soap & Glory, and would be stoked to try a number of their products, but this is #1 on my list.

Some other brands I'd really like to dip my toes into are Too Faced, Urban Decay, Jouer, and NARS. Have you tried any of these products? What are some makeup brands you love or want to try?

No comments:

Post a Comment