Monday, January 18, 2016

Brand Lovin' | Let's talk Colourpop


Hey, beauties! I hope you all had a lovely weekend. I went home this weekend for a couple days, and am feeling a little behind on mentally preparing myself for this week. BUT, today I posted this photo on Instagram, and it seemed like there was a pretty positive reaction to me doing a post regarding it. You know one of my goals for 2016 was to start some new traditions on the blog. One of these traditions I planned on starting was a brand lovin' post once a month, where I talk about a brand I'm excited about, or a brand I'm loving, with some of their products, swatches and such. I decided it was about time I do my first brand lovin' post ever! Since a lot of makeup I've been talking about lately has been higher-end, I thought maybe I should do a brand that is more affordable, and a brand that has been getting more and more hype recently. COLOURPOP! I accidentally typed colourpoop at first and had to correct that. Awkward.

This brand is so awesome because they are extremely affordable and accessible, and they're products are worth way more than their price tags suggest. I have only tried their Lippie Stix and Super Shock Shadows, but am happy to say that I was thoroughly impressed with both. They have a huge range of items and colors whether it's lip pencils, bronzers, highlighters, etc. If you guys have tried any of their face products, I'd love to hear your review!

Colourpop is online only, which can make finding shades and deciding on colors difficult, since there are just photos of the product in it's packaging. But, this brand is smacked all over Instagram and Youtube, so looking up swatches shouldn't be an issue. Their prices are crazy cheap, with their Super Shock Shadows at $5 each, and their Lippie Stix at $5 each too. Also, $5 off your order if you give them your email online!

I was excited to try this brand because of some awesome collaborations they've done with KathleenLights and CoffeeBreakWithDani, two of my favorite youtube channels! KathleenLights has two eyeshadow quads with Colourpop, 'Where the Light Is' (a bronzed glow theme) and 'Where the Night Is' (a bold, color popping quad). These shadows can also be bought individually if you don't want the quad. She also createdlip liners and pencils with Colourpop, 'Lumiere', 'Aquarius', and 'Taurus'. CoffeeBreakWithDani created a quad called 'Metamorphosis' and a lip color called 'Frida'.

When I bought my items from Colourpop, I made sure to take photos of the packaging in case I ever decided to do a post on them (excited that I did that). I purchased the 'Where the Night Is' quad, the Lumiere lip stick, a single matte shadow, Frida lip stick, and two other lippie stix that KathleenLights has raved about before on her channel, Cookie and Tootsi.

Boxed packaging

When I received my Colourpop items, it came with a cute little postcard that said 'Hey Love, if thank you's were snowflakes, we'd send you a blizzard, xoxo Colourpop", which was so cute! They also sent a little booklet about their products. The Lippie Stix came in a long and slender simple box with the logo on the side. The single shadow came in a small box with similar packaging, with a cut out front so you can see the product inside. Where the Night Is quad came in a really cool black box with gold writing on the front. Once you slip off the black cover, you have the four shadows in white packaging, which, when opened, slide right out.





Product packaging

The Lippie Stix come in slender white tubes which can be rolled up or down to release or hide the product. The lid can be popped off. The bottom of the tubes have the color name and the formula. The shadows are in a simple white screw off lid container. The top of the packaging is clear with the Colourpop logo so that you can see the color of the shadow you are grabbing. The product itself is a scaley texture/pattern until swatched. The bottom has a sticker with the name of the shadow, amount of product, etc. One of my shadows was missing a sticker.






Super Shock Shadows

KathleenLights Where the Night is collection has 4 different shadow colors. One is pearlized, and the other three are metallic. All shadow descriptions are quoted directly from the Colourpop website. Weenie and Porter are named after Kathleen's doggies, super cute! The pigmentation of these shadows was amazing. By barely touching the shadows you have enough to give a fully opaque swatch. These are best applied with your finger and then blended with a brush because of their unique formula. There is no fallout with these shadows, and the staying power is incredible! I still can't believe they are $5.



Midnight - "Black undertone with a ton of gold glitter on top/metallic finish"
Telepathy - "Bright gold with a green undertone/ultra-metallic finish"
Porter - "Warm burgundy with gold multi-dimensional and gold glitter on top/metallic finish"
Weenie - "Pinky rose gold with/pearlized finish"
Swatches top to bottom: Weenie, Porter, Midnight, Telepathy
Glow is a single shadow from KathleenLights' first collection, Where the Light Is. I wanted to have a matte shadow that I could use as a base to cover the redness and blue veins on my eyelids before applying colored shadows. This shadow is not nearly as pigmented as the other finishes, and the consistency is very different. It feels almost like a gel, and the product feels bouncy to the touch. It's the strangest consistency I've ever felt with an eyeshadow. As you can see, touching the product causes indents. Applying to the lid, this shadow feels like a cream shadow. It also comes off much more white toned than I expected from it's packaging.

Glow - "Creamy vanilla in a matte finish"
Swatched: Glow
Lippie Stix

I was truly impressed with the creamy texture of these Lippie Stix. They are so easy to apply, and extremely comfortable on the lips. The color range online is really impressive as well. Frida (CoffeeBreakWithDani collab) is satin finish, described as "a warm nude-tone pink". This color comes across much more coral on me. Lumiere (KathleenLights collab) is a matte finish, described as "a dusty mauve pink". This is my favorite color! It is such a beautiful everyday shade, for any look. Tootsi is a matte finish, described as "a cool-toned grey beige". This color is another one of my favorites, because the shade is so unique. Cookie is a matte finish, descried as "a true nude-beige". I was so excited putting this shade on because it is my perfect nude! I usually steer away from nudes because if it isn't perfect, I can look ill and flat, but this almost has a peachy tone to it on my lips, and looks extremely natural, and it is such a versatile color. 

Swatched top to bottom: Frida, Lumiere, Tootsi, Cookie


Overall, I am really impressed with the Colourpop products. The metallic and pearlized finished shadows were beautiful, and everything from the consistency to the staying power was awesome. The swatches were even hard to remove from my arm after taking my blog photos! If I ever made a Colourpop purchase again, I would likely gear myself more towards the metallic and pearlized finish shadows, instead of the matte. I am happy with my matte shadow, but the formula of it kind of freaks me out! The Lippie Stix are awesome, and there is such a huge selection of colors that I can't imagine I won't buy more eventually. The formula of both the matte and satin finishes were extremely creamy and comfortable. It's so awesome to have a brand with such high quality products for such a low price. I can't wait to see what other collabs happen with Colourpop in the future!

I hope you guys enjoyed the first ever brand lovin' post! I hope that this kind of a post interests you guys for the future. I would love to hear your input below! If you guys would like to see more swatches of these shadows and lippies, I do some more swatching on my arm, lips, and eyes on my youtube channel, check out the video below.


What have you guys tried from Colourpop? What do you think of their products? Do you know of any other cool, affordable online brands?

No comments:

Post a Comment