Tuesday, January 12, 2016

Products that disappointed

It's Tuesday, and all I'm thinking is that I should've saved yesterday's post for today so I could've called it Too Faced Tuesday. Can you see the hamster running upstairs today? Yeahhh. Okay guys, so today I did my second YouTube video! So excited! I'm feeling pretty icky still, and I had to do a lot of video editing, because there were so many cough attack breaks. Thank goodness for tea and honey.

Today I wanted to talk with you guys about products that disappointed me in some way or form, whether that be price, packaging, formula, etc. Now, disclaimer that I love a lot of these products, and just because these things frustrated me does not mean that I have any problem with the products or brands, or that these products won't work for you. Every product works differently on every skin type, every skin tone, and everything is based on preferences. BUT, part of me blogging is to share with you guys the products that I own, what I love and don't love about them, and dish you my opinion. I am sorry if I have an issue with a product that you love, but my intention is not to upset anyone, merely to give my personal thoughts. Thank you for understanding!

Some of these products I still have in my makeup drawers, some were samples that have since been thrown away, and one is a product that was returned because of my heavy dislike for it. For those that I have since disposed of, I will have internet photos below.

1. Bobbi Brown Extra Face Cream // While I'm sure this $96 face cream does wonders for people all over, it caused my face a serious allergic reaction full of rash, redness, puss, and days worth of pain and unhappiness. Then again, for $96, I'm glad I didn't like it! This product was much too fragranced, and too complex for my sensitive skin. However, the consistency and application of this cream was beautiful.


2. Benefit They're Real Mascara // Another product I have mentioned on the blog before. There were so many things I absolutely loved about this mascara from the application, to the wand, to the look it gave my lashes. But, what I didn't like, was how it pollinated my entire face with mascara flakes by the end of the day and make me look like a disaster!


3. Benefit They're Real Pushup Liner // This was a free sample I received with a Benefit purchase online. While I love the idea of this liner, there is literally nothing else I like about it. It has a twist off lid (a pop top would be way more convenient), and you twist the bottom till it clicks to release the gel product. It took about 50 twists and waits to get the product to come out when I first used it. When it does come out, it applies very streaky and uneven (you'll see this in the video). The tip is rubberized, and is too flexible to create a straight winged liner, I was so frustrated using it, now that it's been photographed and used for the blog it is going in my trash can.


4. Urban Decay Naked Smoky Palette // Now, don't get your panties in a wad! This is most-used, most-loved eyeshadow palette. You can create so many smoky looks with this palette, and the shadows are beautiful, pigmented, and the packaging is perfection. An even bigger bonus is that the brush that comes with the palette is surprisingly good (these tend to be throw-aways in most palettes). My disappointment with this palette was the massive fallout of these shadows. When I used it for the first time, I had all my face makeup done, and it was ruined with glitter and shadow that I couldn't get rid of! I highly suggest having nothing on your face when you use this palette. Primer and moisturizer will just act like glue for these shadows, and your face makeup will be ruined. It's an amazing palette and I highly recommend it, but be warned, and do eyes first!


5. Tarte Rainforest After Dark Palette // Another one of my most-loved palettes, I just have two silly things to mention about this one. First off, this palette is useless for anyone above a light-medium skin tone. The bronzer and blushes are too light to show up on deep skin tones, which makes this palette not at all universal, which I'm not sure if was intended or was not thought about in the making. It stinks to have a palette released that isn't accessible for all skin tones! Second, there aren't any names in this palette. The names of the shadows came on one of those really annoying plastic sheets, which kind of disappeared out of my palette one day, and has yet to be found. But, this palette is truly amazing for light skin tones, and makes for super easy traveling since it includes a blush, bronzer, highlight, and six shadows.


6. Kevin Aucoin Sculpting Powder 'Medium' // This powder was recommended a million times over by Allana Davison, one of my favorite youtube gals. I absolutely love this powder, probably more than any makeup I've used before! But, when it came in the mail, I was so wildly underwhelmed by the size of the product for how much it costs. That is my only beef with it! The packaging is beautiful, it comes with a small velvet pouch to carry it, and the product is so pigmented and blend-able that it will last ages, even when used every day. This powder is perfect for contouring because of it's grey undertones. I'll never go back to using bronzer to contour after having this! 




7. Tarte The Slenderizer Contour Brush // This brush has since been returned because of my strong dislike for it. Keep in mind that Tarte brushes are my go-to. I use the concealer brush, the Airbuki, and the powder player brush every single day. Their brush quality is incredible, and the bristles always feel soft and amazing. However, this one was a total miss! I think part of this was me misunderstanding the product. I am new to contouring, and I wanted a brush that would help me place the contour in the right place, with the right shape, to chisel my face more. I think this brush is intended to use for cream products, the short and small end to apply the cream, and the larger end to buff out the product. Since I use powders, this brush was far too dense and completely ruined the pan of my bronzers. The dense bristles just attacked the powder, and it didn't do my contour any justice! I think my mistake was looking for a contour brush, when I really just needed a good contouring powder (which I found, the Kevin Aucoin one).


8. Laura Mercier Secret Brightening Powder // You guys know that I look like a zombie without makeup on because my under-eyes are so incredibly dark without the layers of corrector, concealer, and powders that I need. So, the idea of a brightening powder was super intriguing to me. I went into Sephora and got a small sample, but the powder was pure white. I found that it didn't blend well, applied far too white, and wasn't at all helpful to my under-eyes. I much prefer the BareMinerals Well-Rested (don't be afraid of it's yellow tint, it applies translucent and is very brightening on my pale skin).


9. Nars Satin Lip Pencil 'Palais Royal' // I also heard about these lip pencils through Allana Davison's youtube channel. I first purchased the velvet matte pencil in 'Mysterious Red'. The formula is so incredible, the wear power is incredible, and they are so comfortable to wear. She finally sucked me into trying the satin lip pencil after hearing her and others talk about it multiple times, especially this lip color. I love both of these pencils, but after NARS always having amazing packaging, I'm so disappointed with the packaging of this lip pencil. The lid, if not put on just the right way, finds a way to pull itself off. I've scratched my lip pencil many times because of this. The lid has also released while in my purse, which, needless to say, was a disaster. My second issue with this product is it's size for the price. Unless I'm just not getting something, I cannot figure out for the life of me how to get more product to come out. There isn't a twist bottom. So you're paying $26 for basically a thumbtack size of lipstick. But, the formula and wear of these lip pencils is so amazing that I'll probably do it again honestly. 


Alrighty, I am done ranting. As you can see, a lot of these products are those that are well-loved, with just a little something that I wish was different. Watch the corresponding YouTube video below!



What are some products that you are somewhat disappointed by? Have you tried any of these products?

No comments:

Post a Comment