Monday, January 25, 2016

January beauty favorites

It has come time. For the whole month I've been itching to share favorites with you guys. This is my favorite post to do, and that's why we're narrowing it down to 5 favorites. This way, my posts aren't as long, and I can post more photos and talk more specifics about these products and why they are my favorites. These are products I have either (i) been using every single day, or (ii) been using on special occasions and just loving them when I do. Also, don't tell me it's a crime to put two highlighters in one favorites post, because I could do an only highlighters favorites post. I couldn't help myself. And, they're the same brand too! If it wasn't a crime before, it definitely is now.

For swatches and close-ups of consistency and blend-ability of all my favorites, watch the corresponding youtube video below!


1. BECCA Shimmering Skin Perfector 'Moonstone' // This is the highlighter I've been using on special occasions, because it is perfection and I want to savor it. I was a little nervous to pat this on my skin after using my powder foundation, but it actually applies just as beautifully as it does over a liquid. And, you can top it with a powder and it's so highlighty (is that a word?) that it will shine it's way right through. One of the reasons I've been obsessed with this highlighter is because a little goes such a long way, which also means this is going to last forever. Also, the highlight is so gorgeous, unlike any other that I've used before. Moonstone is described as a 'pale gold'. It is so easy to apply, I just pat it onto my upper cheekbones and the center of my nose with my beautyblender. I've also heard of people mixing small amounts of this into their foundation for extra luminosity, but I think I'd look like a disco ball if I tried that!

1.7 FL OZ, lots of product!
The pump makes this product easy-peasy to dispense.
This tiny dab goes SUCH a long way, see below.
This is that small dab from above, so much pigment! And,
the creamy formula of this highlighter is incredible.
Blended out, this highlight gives such a luminous sheen.

2. Clinique Bottom Lash Mascara // A savior for those who struggle with raccoon eyes, lower lash clumping, or bottom lash mascara application. The wand on this mascara is teeny weeny, making it perfect for getting your bottom lashes. I also love using the end of the wand to lengthen my outer upper lashes for that false lashes look. And...it's only $10!


Such a small wand allows you to get those bottom lashes
very precisely. The wand reminds me a lot of Benefit
Gimme Brow brow gel.
3. NARS Narsissist Cheek Studio Palette // This has by far been my favorite product this month. In the past two months, I have been traveling to and from home a lot because of the holidays, and because I am prepping to move and start school again in March. I take the bus a majority of the time that I visit home, so packing is a little tedious sometimes, especially if it's more than a weekend stay. This palette has been my cosmetic bag lifesaver! It includes 4 blushes (exclusive to this palette), the Paloma contour duo (contour and highlight shade), and the classic Laguna bronzer. This palette is ultra sturdy, and keeps me from having to carry a million pans of makeup items in my bag. NARS blushes are my favorite in the world, but their formula and rubberizing packaging isn't ideal for traveling because they are very easily breakable, so this super sturdy palette has been my solution. The shades in this palette give a perfect range from light to dark, and I love the idea that the blush shades are all exclusive to this palette and limited edition. And, it's NARS, so you know they killed it on packaging! My only confusion / disappointment with this palette were the blush names. On the back of the palette it lists blushes as names (I, II, III, and IV), so I had to visit Sephora to see if they created actual names for the blushes (turns out they did, confusing...find those below).

The packaging is mirrored, so it's definitely a magnet for fingerprints,
but it is beautiful. It looks and feels luxurious!
Top left two shades: Paloma Contour
Top right: Laguna Bronzer
Bottom left to right: Icy Lilac, Sausalito Sunset, Shimmering
Rose Peach, Fleshy Pink
Top to bottom swatches : Fleshy Pink, Shimmering Rose Peach,
Sausalito Sunset, Icy Lilac, Laguna, Paloma Contours
TheBalm Put a Lid On It // You guys know that I've been dabbling more and more in eyeshadow recently, and this has been my holy grail for prior to. This primer gets rid of all creasing and oiliness on the lids, and makes shadows stay beautifully all day long. You need so little, just a tiny dab on your index finger to cover both lids. I have ultra oily eyelids that usually just eat their way through shadows during the day, but this keeps them perfectly in check. The packaging is nice and simple, with a squeezy tube. Killed it, TheBalm!


A gel-like consistency that dries within a few seconds. A very small
amount is needed for both lids.
5. BECCA Shimmering Skin Perfector Pressed 'Champagne Pop' // This is probably no surprise to you guys, considering that everyone and their mother had this in their 2015 year favorites and their January favorites. This is hands-down the most amazing highlighter I have ever worn. It is the perfect shade, the perfect consistency, and the perfect amount of pigment. Described by Sephora as a "soft white gold w/ pinky peach undertones". The packaging is so nice and sleek, a metal center with a rubberized outside. This was a collaboration with Jaclyn Hill, and I'm so excited that BECCA did this. Their highlight shades are all amazing, but this one in particular is absolutely gorgeous. I have been wearing this highlight every single day this month! I've also been using this quite often as an eyeshadow.


The perfect gold highlight. The pressed skin perfectors feel almost
creamy to the touch.
Now that you've seen my January beauty favorites, what were yours this month? Have you tried any of these amazing products?


P.S. A little heads up, keep your eye out for non-beauty favorites releasing tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment