Monday, February 22, 2016

10 Underrated and Overrated Beauty Products

Let's be honest, Mondays aren't happy, so we'll skip the whole "happy Monday" bit that I usually do every other day of the week, deal? Plastered all over youtube this week and last, I've seen loads and loads of underrated and overrated beauty products, and I figured I may as well just jump on the bandwagon. And, what better day of the week to talk about things you don't like than on Monday? I tried to be a little more positive by including SIX underrated products I love, and only FOUR overrated products I don't love so much. Whoa, check out the positivity levels on this girl.

We're of course going to talk about all these products here on the blog, but if you want to see these products swatched, talked about more in depth, or if you want to see my cat a few times, check out the corresponding youtube video below! A make sure you take some time to admire my sexy thumbnail.



The underrated products

These are products that I'm convinced should be raved about much more often, especially in the youtube world!




1. TheBalm Put a Lid On It // Hopefully you aren't mad at me for talking about this yet again, since it was also in my January favorites post. But, needless to say, this primer is amazing. It keeps your eyeshadow on all day long, goes on smoothly, acts as the perfect base, and is reasonably priced! 

2. The Sephora Collection // Pictured: Sephora #45 and Lip Stain #13 // In all honestly, I think the entire Sephora Collection is overlooked by so many people, and I am guilty of this as well. I think a lot of people skip over the Sephora Collection, when it's a really great brand! The prices are really reasonable, and so many of their products are true gems. My personal favorites are the Sephora #45 multitasker powder brush, and their cream lip stains, which you have heard about on the blog before. Hopefully, you will give this section in Sephora a try next time you go in! 

3. OFRA Cosmetics // Pictured: Signature Eyes 'Radiant Eyes' Palette // Now, if you've heard of OFRA before I can almost guarantee that it's through their liquid lipsticks, which are 110% my favorite formula of liquid lipstick that I have ever tried. People rave around youtube about their liquid lipsticks, but you rarely see people talking about their other products. OFRA carries beautiful eyeshadows, blushes, bronzers, and their highlighters are to die for. Pictured above is their Radiant Eyes palette, such a gorgeous warm shimmer eyeshadow palette with amazing blend-ability and pigmentation. They are so reasonably priced, and you can almost always find a 30% off code (or more) somewhere on youtube by someone like Manny MUA, KathleenLights, Allana Davison, or JamiePaige Beauty.

4. Colourpop Creme Gel Liner // Pictured: 'Get Paid' // Another brand you've likely heard of due to their lip product fame! The Colourpop lippie stix and lip liners are talked about a ton on Youtube, but, another great product they have that isn't talked about nearly enough is their creme gel liners. The pigmentation and texture of these liners is amazing, it glides on like a dream, and it STAYS ON! These are so underrated, especially considering that they run around $5 a piece.

5. Hourglass Extreme Sheen Lip Gloss // Pictured: 'Child' //As you know, Hourglass is definitely not an underrated brand. You've likely heard of their ambient lighting powders (I've talked about these on the blog before), blushes, and maybe their newest thang - ambient strobing powders. But, their lip glosses aren't talked about enough! The feel, finish, everything about these is perfection. They aren't even a bit tacky, they feel smooth and comfortable on the lips, they apply opaque, and they have great lasting power. I am truly surprised that these aren't more popular in the lip gloss lovin' world.

6. Marcelle XTension Plus Mascara // Awhile back I did a review on this mascara, and talked about how much I was in love with it! The wand looks pretty standard when you pull it out of the box, but one side of it has longer mascara teeth, which is great for combing through your lashes to assure there aren't any clumps or lumps in your lashes. It separates, curls, and lengthens all at once, and for $13, a little over drugstore price.

The overrated products

These are products that I am either not at all a fan of, or that I don't think quite meet their standards (aren't worth the hype or price). I hope that no one is offended by these mentions. Please remember that just because something didn't work for me doesn't mean it won't work for you!



1. MAC 129 Powder / Blush Brush // This is a brush that I actually use almost every day, but there are a lot of things about it that I think make it overrated and not worth it's price tag. MAC makes great brushes, they clean well, perform well, and are extremely soft. However, this one did NOT meet the standards in my opinion. It's a $35 brush, but the bristles are extremely rough, almost itchy on the skin, and this brush sheds like crazy, especially once you start washing it. The application of this brush isn't super, which I would hope it would be for $35. I use the flat end of this brush for applying highlighter on my cheekbones and the center of my nose since I don't have a highlighter brush, and it works fine for that. I would just suggest looking for a different brush, perhaps from the Sephora Collection, and you'll save your money and grief.

2. Urban Decay Primer Potion // Thank goodness this was a Sephora point perk and I didn't spend money on this, because I am really not a fan of this eyeshadow primer. The packaging? Bomb. The product? Not a fan. First off, it came out excessively oily when I first used it, and I had to massage the product in the tube to get it to come out the right consistency. The application feels very tacky, and doesn't really dry down, and I just didn't like the feeling of this on my eyelids whatsoever. I don't get why so many people have this as a holy grail item!

3. NARS Blush 'Orgasm' // You guys know that I am a huge huge fan of NARS blushes. And the #1 most popular, 'Orgasm' is probably my least favorite. People freak out over this blush, a peachy pink. But, beware, when NARS' website says "with gold shimmer", they really mean "a crap-ton of GOLD CHUNKIES". This blush is far too glittery for my taste, I look like I just walked out a strip club when I wear this, and I feel like I belong in a forest of fairies or something. I can't imagine what this would do to those with large and visible pores. I really just don't get all the hype.

4. Bobbi Brown Long-Wear Cream Shadow Stick // Pictured: Golden Pink // This a newer product on the market, but those talking about it and reviewing this are loving it, and I just don't understand. These aren't blend-able whatsoever, with finger or brush, and they are so incredibly drying. I don't know if I just had a poor reaction to these on my skin, or what, but I put the 'Taupe' shadow stick in my crease last week, and it wouldn't blend out or budge immediately after application. And, my crease is still flaking skin from wearing it. The day of wear, by the end of the day I wanted to scratch the product off my eyes, and I was red and itchy after cleaning it all off. I love lots of Bobbi Brown products, but this one didn't impress me at all. And for the $30 price tag, something should be blend-able at the least! Go for Laura Mercier Caviar Eye Sticks hands-down, they're amazing and cheaper.

I hope you guys found this post helpful and that I either saved you some money on splurging on some overrated products, or that you try some of these awesome underrated ones you may not have heard of or tried before! I also hope you don't mind my joining on this bandwagon. Thank you for reading! Make sure to comment below with your choices on the most underrated and overrated beauty products.

No comments:

Post a Comment