Thursday, February 18, 2016

First impressions: Stila Aqua Glow Serum Foundation + Concealer

Happy Thursday lovelies! Today, as you read this, I'm on my merry little way off to the ham (Bellingham) to spend a couple days with the fam and have my transfer orientation for spring quarter. YAY SCHOOL! BUT, before I went off for a few days, I wanted to film a first impressions video for you guys on a foundation and concealer.

Since my looks and makeup are going to be a little more realistic moving away from the city and near a campus, I decided that I wanted to pick up a foundation and concealer that were going to feel light and effortless, and look that way also. I wanted something that would look like my skin, but better. Something luminous and natural, nothing full coverage or cakey, and I did some research on Stila Aqua Glow Serum Foundation and the corresponding concealer. Since I much prefer shopping online, I kind of bit the bullet with a shade match, crossing my fingers that it would be successful, and thank the lordy that it was! It was meant to be. *hallelujah* I picked up the shade 'Fair Light' in both the foundation and the concealer.


The packaging


The packaging of these items is really unique and interesting, it kind of freaked me out at first, which you can easily see if you decide to watch my first impressions video. For the foundation, you twist the top, and a little bump comes out, which you press to pull product up into a dropper. You keep twisting until the cap comes off, and you press the bump again to release product. One drop is more than enough for application in my opinion! The concealer also has a dropper-looking end, which is actually really cool because it is clear, so you can see when the product is on it's way out, and dispense the ideal amount. Below is a photo of what the dropper for the foundation looks like.

Both products came in a simple yellow-gold box with the Stila logo on it. The box includes ingredients, directions, and benefits of the products, which you hear me read in the video.

The products and their claims




The foundation is 1oz (pretty standard for foundation) and runs for $45 USD at Sephora. It comes in 10 different shades. "An ultra-lightweight, ionized, water-based foundation with buildable and natural-looking coverage" (Sephora). It is formulated without Phthalates, Parabens, and Sulfates. I would completely agree with all claims of this foundation, except for the fact that it is full-coverage. One layer to me runs between light-medium coverage. Perhaps I am using the wrong brush for this foundation, or an incorrect technique! But, to me, full coverage will cover all redness and blemishes, whereas this foundation evened my skintone beautifully, but didn't do my redness and blemishes much justice, until I applied concealer over top of them.


The concealer is 0.23oz and runs $27 USD at Sephora. It comes in 8 different shades. The claims of this concealer are exactly the same as quoted above for the foundation. I have the same opinion as with the foundation, in that I disagree with the full coverage aspect. This concealer feels extremely light and natural, and the coverage is good, especially considering that I used it without a corrector, but I don't think it is full coverage (then again, would I consider anything full-coverage with my zombie undereyes?). It claims to melt into the skin, which is 100% true. It is extremely blendable and smooth, and it really does just melt into the skin and look like your own.

The application

The foundation applied and blended like a dream! I used the Stila One Step Correct primer prior to the foundation, and the it blended out with just a few brush strokes with no streakiness or need to reapply. I felt like one drop gave me decent, natural-looking coverage. However, the foundation was definitely buildable if you prefer fuller coverage. It has an extremely dewy finish, it looks and feels almost wet. However, the foundation didn't transfer when I touched my face after a few minutes of letting it set. I would still recommend using a setting powder over top to lock it all in! As far as the look of the foundation, it sits perfectly on the skin if you're looking for a really natural, dewy, luminous look, which was exactly what I was personally hoping for. It evened out my skin tone, and getting really close to the mirror, the foundation just looked like my own skin!

The concealer applied just as the foundation, extremely smooth and blendable. It gave a semi-matte finish to the undereyes, blending beautifully just using the fingertips. It is very easy to work with. But, you want to make sure you set it with powder too. 

The wear

After 8 hours of wearing the foundation, I was truly impressed with the way it wore throughout the day. As per usual, a little redness peaked out on the tip of my nose, a little oil on my t-zone, and a little bit of settling in the smile lines and cracks on the sides of my nose, but this is all extremely normal. And, the best part about the way this wore? After all these hours and imperfections, I still just looked natural and luminous. Some foundations make you look really oily throughout the day, but this one just made my oily areas look radiant and luminous. The way it sits on the skin and wears throughout the day is really beautiful, just a great "my skin but WAYYY better" foundation.

As far as the concealer goes, I wasn't as impressed as I was with the foundation. There was quite a bit of creasing and patchiness at my undereye area by the end of the day, and the blemishes that I had covered with the concealer were pretty much 90% visible by the end of the day. Needless to say, while I did like the concealer, especially the feel and application, I don't think it's worth it's price tag compared to, say, NARS Radiant Creamy Concealer. It is a great "I rolled out of bed looking this beautiful" kind of really truly natural concealer, but for a full day of stay-on makeup, I wouldn't recommend it. However, it feels great, and I would recommend this for lazy days or no-makeup makeup days because while it does fade and crease a bit, it does all of this gracefully and naturally, without looking cakey or super unflattering as some concealers do throughout the day.

The overall rating

I am super impressed with the serum foundation and truly excited about it! I am so happy that I did some research and found this foundation, because it is exactly what I was looking for. For you dry to normal skinned out there, this is yo jam. For those extra oily peeps, I would probably recommend a lil somethin' else, just so the t-zone situation doesn't get outta control. 

The concealer is not a 100% yes for me like the foundation was. I definitely like it and will be using it, but I'm so partial to my NARS concealer that I'm a bit hard to impress. 

Overall? You know that phrase "age with grace"? I feel like these products do this throughout the day. While they fade throughout the day, they do so in a way that makes them just as beautiful as when you put them on, just in a different way. If that makes any sense whatsoever. I would say hands-down if you're a guy or gal looking for a natural everyday / no-makeup-makeup / lazy days foundation with a lot of dewiness / radiance / luminosity, this is gonna be your pal. Cup of thoughts and a bag of tea APPROVED!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Amber, I just wanted to say what a beautiful blog you have made!! I thoroughly enjoyed watching and reading your blog as always. I've been away from blogging for a few days as I have been super busy but fear not I am coming back in the next few days. I am so interested in buying this foundation, I was wondering if you could send me a link to the website where I could buy it? Also I am really interested in buying the same foundation brush as you would you be able to tell me where that came from too and send me a link?

    Lots of love always, Anya x x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey girl! Thank you so much for reading, I'm so thankful that you're enjoying my blog. And, of course you know that I always love yours as well, I can't wait for you to get back to it!

      I purchased my Stila Foundation at the Sephora website, however you can purchase it on the Stila or ULTA websites as well. Here is the link to it on Sephora's website: http://seph.me/1oE5YYm

      I purchased the brush on Sephora as well, but you can also purchase it on the Tarte Cosmetics website. Here is the link for the brush at Sephora: http://seph.me/21mr2QJ

      Thank you so much for reading, beautiful! You'll have to let me know when you buy these and give me your thoughts. Xo

      Delete